You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 100997  

Print Page



© Mr Dennis Coote CPAGB APAGB

IoE Number: 100997
Location: TUCKENHAY MILL,
  ASHPRINGTON, SOUTH HAMS, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Dennis Coote CPAGB APAGB
Date Photographed: 14 November 2001
Date listed: 26 April 1993
Date of last amendment: 26 April 1993
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CORNWORTHYSX85NWTUCKENHAY6/87Tuckenhay MillGVII

CORNWORTHY SX85NW TUCKENHAY 6/87 Tuckenhay Mill GV II Paper mill, converted to house. Circa 1829 converted to house in late C20. Slate rubble, colourwashed on north east side with boarded first floor and partly slate-hung on south west side. Grouted scantle slate hipped roof. Plan: L-shaped on plan main ranges with a cellar under the north west end. Single storey wing on the south west corner. Exterior: 3 storeys over a cellar at north west end where the ground is at lower level. The top (second) storey was originally open-sided with posts and wooden louvres or slats between; it is partly still open-sided and the first floor accommodation is set back inside forming a loggia. the stone north west end wall rises up to the eaves and has 2 blocked round-headed cellar doors with 2 basket arch openings on the ground floor and similar but blocked openings on first floor; 4 rectangular openings on the second floor, the centre 2 blocked. The north east side has wide elliptically arched cellar doorway to the right and a regular 6-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars on the ground and first floors; above the second floor originally open for ventilation with wooden vertical slats and now with some small late C20 aluminium sliding windows. Similarly slatted top floor of east wing to left with a later Cl9 2-storey lean-to addition in the angle with a vertically boarded front and a slate monopitch roof. At the north east end of the wing and ground floor a wide vehicular entrance with a timber lintel and late C20 aluminium window in vertically boarded storey above. The north west side of the main range is slate hung on ground and first floors and has late C20 casements with a late C20 timber balcony. Above the second floor is open with timber posts and some of the bays with vertical slats. To the right a low single storey wing with a hipped slate roof and late C20 casements. Interior: not inspected. Note: The paper mill is said to have begun work in 1829 (Hoskins). It produced high quality hand-made paper and was the only surviving 'vat\mill in Devon. Source: W H Hoskins, Devon (published 1954), page 322 (under Ashprington parish)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.