You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 100998  

Print Page



© Mr Dennis Coote CPAGB APAGB

IoE Number: 100998
Location: TUCKENHAY PAPER MILLS,
  ASHPRINGTON, SOUTH HAMS, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Dennis Coote CPAGB APAGB
Date Photographed: 14 November 2001
Date listed: 26 April 1993
Date of last amendment: 26 April 1993
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CORNWORTHYSX85NWTUCKENHAY6/88Tuckenhay Paper MillsGVII

CORNWORTHY SX85NW TUCKENHAY 6/88 Tuckenhay Paper Mills GV II Paper mill converted into holiday accommodation. Dated 1889 (datestone H.S. 1889); converted into holiday accommodation in late C20. Mainly slate rubble with red brick window and doorway dressings. West elevation of north range is rendered with ashlar joint lining and partly slate hung. Welsh slate roofs with gabled ends and black glazed ridge tiles. wing on Plan: The main block in on a NNW-SSE (say N-S) axis has a broad wing on the east side and a low narrow wing on the west side. At a lower ground is level across the north end is the vat house and in the angle to the east is a single storey detached range. Exterior: Built on a steeply sloping site on various levels with range of 1, 2 and 3 storeys. The tall main block is south gable at higher ground level has 3 large segmentally arched windows with keystones and 2 smaller similar windows above with datestone. H.S. 1889 in between and bullseye above in the gable. This block has similar n orth gable end, its west elevation is partly glazed with a large 4 light window from eaves to the second floor level and a slate hung gable-ended slightly lower wing to left (North west) Over the ridge of main block a large Italianate clock turret, square on plan hung at its base, boarded above and with a clock face on each side with small louvres above under the deep bracketed eaves and hipped slate roof with an ornate metal finial and weathervane. To the north of the turret on the ridge of the main range a louvred ventilator with a gable-ended slate roof, segmented headed windows on the north and south sides and in the gable end wall a bull's-eye. At the lower level across the north side of these 2 blocks a gable-ended single storey range with round headed cast-iron frame windows with glazing bars, end walls have 2 storeys of these windows and a bullseye in gables, the west end is rendered and east end has wide round-arched doorway to right with keystone and C19 6-panel double doors with a fanlight above. Also at east end, in the angle with main range, a small single storey gable-ended building with large round-headed windows with keystones, frames and a doorway, with fanlight with glazing bars and plank double doors. Also in north east angle a single storey detached range with round-headed windows and a lunette and west gable end and bullseye in east gable both with keystones. At the south west side of the main block is a long and irregular single storey range which on its north side is built on a revetment and has C20 casements and raking roof dormers. Interior: The north rage was complete late C19 roof of soft wood the trusses with both king and queen-posts with struts and with boarded roof. The other roof also seem to retain their late C19 roofs. Note: This building appears to be an extension to the earlier paper mill (Tuckenhay Mill (qv) which is said to have begun work in 1829. It produced high quality hand-made paper and was the only surviving 'vat'-mill in Devon (Hoskins). Source: W H Hoskins, Devon (published 1954) page 322 (under Ashprington parish).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.