You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 102974  

Print Page



© Mr Murray Pearson LRPS

IoE Number: 102974
Location: CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE,
  GILLINGHAM, NORTH DORSET, DORSET
Photographer: Mr Murray Pearson LRPS
Date Photographed: 07 January 2001
Date listed: 03 January 1985
Date of last amendment: 03 January 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 82 NWGILLINGHAMMILTON-ON-STOUR3/135Church of St Simonand St Jude

ST 82 NW GILLINGHAM MILTON-ON-STOUR 3/135 Church of St Simon and St Jude - II Chapel of Ease, 1868 by Slater and Carpenter. Coursed, squared rubble with gable-ended, tiled roof with stone copings. Plan: nave, apsidal chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north vestry/organ chamber. Generally in the early 'Decorated' style. West tower: 3 stages with broach spire, sqaure set buttresses and southern vice; 2-centred west window with geometric tracery and label with headstops; small lancets to second stage; third stage has paired lancets with roll-mouldings and pierced stone panels; spire bears quatrefoils. Aisles have trefoiled, paired lancets. East and west aisle windows have 2-centred heads and plate tracery. Chancel has lancets with trefoiled heads and labels with head-stops. Gabled porch with 2-centred moulded arch and shafted jambs with carved capitals. Inner doorway is roll-moulded and has a door with scrolled, wrought-iron hinges. External vice door similar. Internal features: 3-bay arcades with 2-centred heads of 2-chamfered orders and round piers with carved capitals; 2-centred chancel arch with shafted jambs having carved capitals and label with head-stops over; 2-centred, moulded tower arch with flat soffit and semi-pilasters with carved capital to jambs; nave roof has arch braced collar trusses springing from corbels, queenposts with windbracing to upper purlins and 2 sets of windbraced purlins; chancel has, ribbed, boarded barrel-vault roof; boarded aisle roofs; roofs are painted with fleurons and other decoration; arcaded stone pulpit with marble shafts dated 1887; round font with clustered shafts; pews with carved bench ends; C19/C20 glass. (Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin 1972, p 295).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.