You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 104714  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Beauchamp FRICS

IoE Number: 104714
Location: QUEEN'S ARMES HOTEL, THE STREET (south side)
  CHARMOUTH, WEST DORSET, DORSET
Photographer: Mr Derek Beauchamp FRICS
Date Photographed: 23 May 2006
Date listed: 07 August 1952
Date of last amendment: 07 August 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SY 3693CHARMOUTHTHE STREET,SOUTH SIDE8/29Queen's Armes Hotel7.8.52

SY 3693 CHARMOUTH THE STREET, SOUTH SIDE 8/29 Queen's Armes Hotel 7.8.52 G.V. II* Hotel, formerly coaching inn, and hostelry. Early C16 with late C18 re- facing and C20 internal alterations. Rubble stone walls, rendered. Asbestos slate roof with gable ends and stone gable coping at east end. 3 rendered stacks visible on ridge at both gable ends and inserted stack left of centre. C16 rear wall stack to ground and first floor halls. Plan: Early C16 from east to west. Kitchen, Buttery and Pantry areas formerly; former screens passage; Hall, Parlour. North elevation: 2 storeys, 7 windows, ground floor, C20 wooden casements with glazing bars; wooden sashes with glazing bars; one large C20 window to right hand. First floor with 2 sliding sashes, vertical sashes. Former doorway into cross- passage, early C16 moulded stone jambs of lias with a 4-centred head under a square frame. Left spandrel with TC (for Thomas Chard, last Abbot of Forde); right spandrel with a D. Present front door to right, C20, 6 panel door with 4 of them glass. Tablet over doorway: "King Charles II slept here September 22-23, 1651. Erected March 31, 1902". Interior: fireplaces: kitchen hearth, blocked hall fireplace, parlour fireplace with stone jambs and Tudor arch head. First floor hall fireplace of stone, C16. Extensive plank-and-muntin partitioning, oak with straight chamfers in kitchen, hall, parlour and upper rooms. Parlour partitions with stencilled flower pattern. Heavily moulded ceiling beams, making compart- ments in hall, parlour and solar bedroom. Parlour beams with sunk oak leaf pattern. Solar with 16 small ceiled compartments. Buttery and pantry doorways survive in situ. Kitchen with mortices in plank-and-muntin to take stair (missing) over back door. Back door with stone jambs, rebated and chamfered. Blocked stone doorway in Parlour to original staircase from ground floor. Roof construction of arch-braced collar-beam type with original wattle and plaster partitions. "RCHM, Dorset I", p 88 (4).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.