© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
CHURCH OF ST.GILES, GILESGATE (south side)
DURHAM, DURHAM, DURHAM
Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
12 December 2005
06 May 1952
Date of last amendment:
06 May 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE GILESGATE
NZ 2842 NE (South side)
11/178 Church of St. Giles
Parish church. Part of the hospital of St. Giles founded 1112 AD; north nave
wall c.1114; chancel late C12; tower early C13 and early C15; c.1873 south
aisle and vestry, north porch. Sandstone, most coursed and squared, with ashlar
dressings; porch snecked sandstone; plinth. Roofs not visible.
Nave with south aisle and north porch; chancel with south vestry; west tower.
Square tower of 4 stages has clasping buttresses flanking restored 3-light west
window with Perpendicular tracery; top stages have small square-headed window
and 2-light belfry openings, traceried except on east side, below pinnacled
battlements. North wall of nave has 3 small windows, the west 2 round-headed
and with shallow chamfered surround, that at east renewed; massive buttresses
define east bay which was original chancel. Later chancel has blocked north door;
shafted round-headed north and south windows with zig-zag moulding; 5-light
renewed east window; sill string. Buttressed south aisle has 5 Perpendicular
Interior: coursed squared sandstone, raised on the north in rubble, in nave and
chancel; tower rubble; C19 work painted plaster with ashlar dressings; panelled
roof on painted corbels and tie-beams. Octagonal columns in 5-bay arcade and
south organ chamber have 2 hollow chamfers to 2-centred arches. 3 shafts support
double-chamfered renewed chancel arch; fragment of former chancel arch on north
with 2 head corbels. Tower arch of 2 orders has dog-tooth corbels. North door,
re-sited from south, has cushion capitals and zig-zag moulding; deep splays to
nave north windows; chancel windows have water-leaf capitals and zig-zag drip
string. Blocked round-headed doors in chancel and adjacent to north door. Font
in tower has large lead-lined bowl on round pedestal with cushion capital.
In chancel wood effigy of John Heath of Kepier, died 1591, in armour; head rests
on cock-crested helmet, feet on scroll containing 2 skulls with motto 'Hodie
mihi cras tibi'; Heath arms on shield hanging from renewed wooden chest.
Porch contains fragment of tegulated coped medieval grave-cover.
Source: V.C.H. Durham, III, 1928 reprint 1968, 186-190.