© Mr Thomas A. Jones
CHURCH OF ST.NICHOLAS, MARKET PLACE (north side)
DURHAM, DURHAM, DURHAM
Mr Thomas A. Jones
14 August 2002
19 February 1970
Date of last amendment:
19 February 1970
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE MARKET PLACE
NZ 2742 NW (North side)
9/234 Church of St.Nicholas
Parish church. 1857-8 by J.P. Pritchett. Snecked sandstone with ashlar
dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled
nave and chancel; south porch and south tower. Decorated style. 5-stage
tower in second bay from west has angle buttresses with gabled offsets;
double door with ornate iron hinges in shafted and moulded surround with
ballflower decoration; arms of City of Durham and church in blind quatrefoils
at either side under quatrefoil band and sloped coping, imitating Kepier
Hospital gatehouse (q.v.). Elaborate canopied niche above contains statue of
St. Nicholas, flanked by blind cross-slits. Tall third stage has 2 high
windows. Mask brackets support clock under pinnacled gablet; paired 2-light
belfry openings above under battlemented parapet on ballflower- and-mask
brackets. Gabled corner pinnacles; tall octagonal stone spire with lucarnes.
3-light aisle windows in bays defined by buttresses with gablets and pinnacles;
4-light chancel window in first bay. Clerestory has rounded triangular windows.
East front has shallow gabled porch in south aisle and 2-light window in north,
with gabled buttresses; large 5-light east window; 4-light west window.
Interior: painted plaster with arch-braced collar and king-post roof. 4-bay
north arcade and 2-bay south arcade have leaf-carved capitals to shafted columns;
high chancel arch in similar style. Re-ordered, with chancel arch and aisles
filled with glazed screens forming chapel. Tower has 8-ribbed vault with
heraldic and floral corbels; central boss carved ST.N. and dated 1858. Traceried
stone screens in chancel commemorate Ralph Dixon and are gift of the proprietors
of Durham Waterworks in 1858. Glass by L.C. Evetts in south aisle, 1963.