© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
ELVET BRIDGE, RIVER WEAR
DURHAM, DURHAM, DURHAM
Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
03 April 2005
06 May 1952
Date of last amendment:
06 May 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE RIVER WEAR
NZ 2742 SE
15/388 Elvet Bridge
Bridge. Early C13 incorporating one arch of late C12 work. Central 3 arches
renewed after 1771 flood; north side (upstream) doubled in width in 1804-5.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. 7 river arches, 2 land arches
on west and one on east. East arch stepped southwards is round and chamfered;
other south arches are double-chamfered and 2-centred, with 5 ribs of which
the outer is chamfered; northern extension has cutwaters alternately sloping-
topped and hipped, flanking 2-centred arches. Hipped south cutwaters. Band at
road bed level; parapet with low rounded coping; stone steps alongside on north
side at west end. 2 west land arches are beneath present road; the easternmost
of them adapted as house of correction in 1632 has iron grilles over boarded
doors. South-east arch surpported medieval chapel of St. Andrew, of which part
may survive under No. 97 Elvet Bridge (q.v.).
A scheduled ancient monument.