© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
MONK'S FLAT, LARTINGTON LANE (north off)
LARTINGTON, TEESDALE, DURHAM
Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
23 July 2004
12 January 1967
Date of last amendment:
17 June 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE
NZ 0217 (North side, off)
32/92 Lartington Hall,
12.1.67 Witham Court and
(Formerly listed as
GV Lartington Hall)
Large county house and former servants' wing, the latter now 3 dwellings:
Monk's Flat, Witham Court and Hansom House. Dated 1635 on porch doorway; late
C18 chapel and west wing; early C19 east wing with c.1836 ballroom addition
possibly by Ignatius Bonomi; porte-cochère, vestibule, corridor and servants'
wing added 1861-5 by Joseph Hansom. Pebble-dashed masonry, graduated green
slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Servants' wing: squared masonry; stone-
flagged roofs and stone chimney stacks. Reversed U-plan: centre block; chapel,
wing and rear servants' wing to west; early C19 east wing with ballroom and
1861-5 additions to north.
South front: 3-storey, 5-bay centre with projecting 3-storey porch: doorway
with 3-centred head and re-cut 1635 date on lintel; blocked 2-light chamfered-
mullioned window and 4-pane sash in architrave above. 4-pine sashes in flanking
bays. 3-light Geometrical-tracery window in projecting chapel. 4-bay wing to
east, with replaced 4-pane sashes, breaks forward. Eaves cornice. Low-pitched
roof is hipped over wings and porch. Stepped and corniced ridge stacks with
ornamental chimney pots.
2-storey, 9-bay east front has 3-bay centre and canted end bays. Plinth,
replaced 4-pane sashes, eaves cornice and low-pitched roof. Ballroom addition:
canted east bay with elaborate, pedimented tripartite window; taller main block
behind with clerestory and low-pitched hipped roof; set-back north bay with
North front: 2-bay porte-cochère has round archways, end piers with vermiculated
rustication, entablature with 1863 datestone and round-arched, pedimented return
bays. Square vestibule behind has canted corners, small glazed lantern and low-
pitched pyramidal roof.
2-storey west front of 2 builds: 3-bay north section has 12-pane sashes; 2
gabled porches at junction; 4-bay chapel has pointed windows with impost blocks;
horse-mounting block to south end. Low-pitched hipped roof.
Servants' wing has sashes, steeply-pitched roofs, tall stacks and 1861 datestone
in south gable of Hansom House.
Interior: former chapel, now squash court, has Gothic plasterwork, quadripartite
rib-vaulted ceiling and north gallery. Colonnaded ballroom has canted corners,
4 segmental-arched recesses, Composite capitals, enriched entablature carried
across the recesses, clerestory and coffered ceiling. Cinquecento-style
additions by Hansom: vestibule with canted corners, niches, enriched round
archways and painted coffered ceiling cove; linking 6-bay corridor to ballroom
(south section has 3 circular skylights on pendentives; north section has late
C20 suspended ceiling); spacious staircase hall has open-well cantilevered stone
stair with wreathed and ramped handrail and cast-iron balusters, skylight with
C19 heraldic stained glass, Venetian stair window with stained glass of Pre-
Raphaelite female figure holding lyre.
Lartington Hall was the home of the geologist Henry Witham (1779-1844).