© Ms Pat Maycroft ARPS
WITTON CASTLE, SLOSHES LANE (north side)
EVENWOOD AND BARONY, TEESDALE, DURHAM
Ms Pat Maycroft ARPS
29 August 1999
07 January 1952
Date of last amendment:
07 January 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
EVENWOOD AND BARONY SLOSHES LANE
NZ 13 SE
2/27 (inset) Witton Castle
Castle, now caravan site and leisure complex administration and club buildings.
Probably late C14; licence to crenellate 1410; partial demolition late C17;
extensive late C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Coursed sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings and some quoins; roofs not visible. Main north range of
medieval castle with west extensions and additions forming enclosure to service
courtyard. Main front of north range 2 storeys, 8 bays, with stair turret
projection in second bay and full-height porch with projecting porte-cochere in
fifth bay. Port-cochere has double-chamfered flat-2-centred arches; wide angle
buttresses; front corbel table and battlemented parapet. Tudor-arched surround
to boarded door in porch, which has Decorated tracery in 4-light windows, and
battlemented parapet with stone figures of buck and doe. Polygonal stair
turret has 3 set-back stages with small chamfered lights, and heraldic panels
and date and initials HC 1881, below corbelled battlements. Varied windows in
other bays in medieval and Tudor styles, some with dripmoulds, are all C19.
Bays flanking porch project slightly, the right under tower with figures on
battlements. Corbelled external chimney stack from ground floor between 2
right bays, which have set-back stages; right end angle turret has similar set-
backs, as has corresponding turret at left end which is abutted by west forecourt
wall (q.v.). Square stone chimneys on corbelled stack and to left of entrance
bay; octagonal stone chimney on front of tower behind porch with bronze fox.
West extensions have some Gothic-style openings, some of mid-C19 character, and
probably incorporate early north curtain wall. Interior of main range shows
principal first-floor rooms with Gothic panelling and window reveals; barrel-
vaulted ground floor.