You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 114670  

Print Page

© Mrs Colleen Cole LRPS

IoE Number: 114670
Photographer: Mrs Colleen Cole LRPS
Date Photographed: 06 July 2004
Date listed: 01 August 1946
Date of last amendment: 01 August 2046
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 72 NEGOSFIELDHALL DRIVE7/158Gosfield Hall1/8/46GVI

TL 72 NE GOSFIELD HALL DRIVE 7/158 Gosfield Hall 1/8/46 GV I House. Mid C16 quadrangular with east front remodelled for John Knight after c.1715. South front remodelled by Sir Thomas Millington c.1700 (Pevsner), north front remodelled for Earl Nugent prior to c.1788. Restorations for Samuel Courtauld (owner of Halstead weaving mills), c.1854 to c.1881. Mainly red brick with blue brick diapering. Stucco facing to south and north fronts. Plain red tiled roofs. Two storeys, attics and cellars. West Face of five symmetrical bays with C19 gabled angle projections right and left and five gables to original face. Moulded brick parapets and finials to gables. Moulded brick corbel table on plaster excepting to gables and the four two shaft octagonal brick chimney stacks. These chimney shafts with moulded bases and caps. The two centre chimney stacks are external and crow stepped with recessed arches and seats to bases. Matching recessed arches below the other stacks. Gables break forward. Stone window ranges with leaded lights of 1:1:1:1:1:1:1 to attics of mainly three lights, that to centre entrance gable with clock face over, circular lights to C19 projections and five lights to left. 7 window range to first floor of six lights with transomes excepting that to left of four lights with transoms and moulded brick crenellations over and the C19 five light bays. 1:1:0:0:0:1:1 to ground floor of four lights and C19 five light bays. Central entrance gateway of moulded brick with jambs and a four-centred arch set in a square head with label over. Ornamental brick shields to spandrels. C18 bell cote above central entrance, plain polygonal base, moulded timber supports, moulded and dentilled cornice surmounted by ribbed lead covered head with ball finial and weathervane. South face. To left is the red brick red plain tiled two storey return wall of the C19 projection which has a central red brick chimney stack with two octagonal shafts and two window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes with segmental heads. Main range. Hipped red tiled roof with six flat head dormers. Five panelled red brick chimney stacks. Two storeys and attics. Symmetrical 17 bays stucco faced. The pedimented central three bays break forward, rusticated with moulded pediment, metopes and triglyphs to frieze, bands above and below first floor windows with pilasters between, semi-circular heads with keystones to ground floor windows. The two flanking bays are rusticated to ground floor with rusticated arches to first floor windows. Pilasters separate the second and third bays and pilaster to right angle. Moulded and dentilled cornice to the five end bays. Vertical sliding sash windows. Windows two and sixteen with panels under. Central band and plinth. East Face. Symmetrical, red brick with blue brick diapering. Red tiled roofs, hipped to 2 projecting angle bays. Seventeen bays, the five central bays raised with panelled and stone capped parapet, moulded cornice under. Excepting these five bays, two storeys and attics. 8 dormers with moulded pedimented or segmental heads, moulded and dentilled eaves cornice, moulded central band. Pilasters to angles of projecting bays. 3:3:5:3:3 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes, excepting the five central bays. Projections with 3 bay returns of similar windows. The five central bays have five recessed central panels with gauged brick arches. Moulded bands over and under. Five range to first floor of stone leaded three light windows with two transoms and labels over. Four range to ground floor of tall small paned vertically sliding sashes with segmental brick arches and moulded keystones. Fine central doorway with fluted Ionic columns on a rusticated background, upswept moulding to frieze, dentilled and moulded segmental head. Double doors, each of eight panels. Central six panelled doors with small paned lights over to right and left projections. North Face. To the right is the projecting red brick return of the west projection. Red tiled roof, external chimney stack with two octagonal shafts. Two storeys, with three scattered vertically sliding sash windows with glazing bars. Part glazed door to left. Timber supports and carved brackets to shallow porch pediment. Segmental head and pendant under. Moulded central band to left return. Main face, stucco of eighteen bays. Two storeys and attics. The central seven bays raised with moulded and dentilled parapet, enriched cornice and moulded band under. Red plain tiled roofs to right and left, hipped to left. Flat head dormer to left. Four red brick chimney stacks, panelled with crenellated bases, excepting to right which has a moulded base and attached shafts. Dentilled eaves cornice. Central band carries through. Centre bays rusticated with Corinthian pilasters between the tall first floor windows, line arches over. 6:7:5 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes, that to far right an extension bay window of three lights with the forward extension to ground floor having three windows. Pilasters to right and left ranges. Two ten panelled doors to central bays with moulded pilasters, scroll brackets and moulded segmental heads. To left is a six panelled door with moulded surround and louvre over. Courtyard: West Face. Red and black brick. Red plain tiled roofs. Lion masks to gutters. Central forward gable with pinnacles. Moulded brick corbel table on plaster. Central moulded stone band. Two storeys. Seven window range first floor. Six window range, ground floor of leaded four light stone windows with moulded labels excepting to centre entrance gable which has similar six light window with centre transom. Moulded brick central entrance way with jambs and four- centred arch, shields to spandrels, moulded label. Later stone statues to right and left with flowing drapery. Stone coat of arms over. Four circular Roman Emperor head plaques above first floor windows. Moulded stone surrounds with labels over to right and left vertically boarded, nailed doors. Ornate rainwater heads and brackets to down-pipes. Courtyard: South Face. Corbel table carries through. Two storeys. Central moulded stone band. Five window range to first floor. Four window range to ground floor of stone, leaded five light windows with centre transoms and moulded labels over, excepting first floor left window which is matching of three lights. The nailed six panelled door below this window with matching sidelights and four lights over. Three shafts between ground floor windows surmounted by carved heads. Brick plinth. Ornate head and brackets to rainwater pipe. This face probably partly rebuilt. Courtyard North: Face Similar to South face except that the main windows are of six lights. The three centre bays have an additional storey of three six light windows, these without transoms. The door is to right. Courtyard: East Face. Ten bays. The three storey forward five central bays are raised with stone coping to panelled parapet and moulded cornice under. Two central moulded brick bands, the upper dentilled, with three light windows between red tiled roofs to outer two storey bays. 3:5:2 ranges of stone three light leaded windows with centre transoms and moulded labels, excepting to the five central bays ground and second floors which have two transoms. Central brick porch with mouldings and dentills to parapet. Moulded four centred arch of two orders. Double doors each of eight nailed panels. Stone statues to right and left and two bosses over. Coat of Arms above porch. Four shafts with carved heads between windows. Interior Many features remain from each period of building. The Long Gallery which occupies the first floor of the west wing is panelled throughout with linenfold panelling, has an original fireplace with central chimney stack and iron fireback. There are two peepholes. Ballroom has a plastered and painted ceiling. Panelled walls, pedimented door and marble fireplace. Grand Salon with painted and plastered ceiling, panelled walls, marble fireplace. Library panelled with Ionic pilasters, pedimented doors, C17 marble fireplace. Two fine staircases. Many other panelled walls, doors, dados etc. of C17, C18 and C19 but viewing limited as most rooms are private apartments. RCHM 3.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.