You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 116083  

Print Page



© Mr Frank Swift

IoE Number: 116083
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, CHURCH STREET (north side)
  COGGESHALL, BRAINTREE, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Frank Swift
Date Photographed: 22 November 2001
Date listed: 31 October 1966
Date of last amendment: 31 October 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 8422-8522COGGESHALLCHURCH STREET(north-west side)9/52Parish Church of St.31.10.66Peter and Vincula

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET (north-west side) 9/52 Parish Church of St. 31.10.66 Peter and Vincula GV I Parish church. C15, restored in C19, severely damaged by enemy action in 1940, restored 1955-8 by S.E. Dykes Bower. Flint rubble with fragments of brick, partly faced with ashlar, with limestone dressings, roofed with lead. Chancel, Nave, N and S chapels, N and S aisles, W tower and S porch all rebuilt in the C15. The N arcade and clerestorey, most of the N aisle, the roofs of the Nave and N aisle, and the tower, have been rebuilt 1955-8, and the remainder repaired. The Chancel and N and S chapels have walls faced with ashlar, and plinths enriched with quatrefoil panels and shields, mostly restored, bearing 2 crossed keys; the lower buttresses have plain panels and the upper buttresses have trefoil-headed panels. The restored E window of the Nave is of 7 cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a 2-centred head, with moulded external and internal reveals and external label. Externally below the E window is a recess with hollow-chamfered jambs, defaced cinquefoiled and sub-cusped 4-centred head, each spandrel carved with a pomegranate, and moulded label; traces of former crucifix and 2 figures. The N and S arcades are each of three 2-centred arches of 2 moulded orders; the columns each have 4 attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals; the responds have attached half-columns. The 2-centred chancel-arch is of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous, the inner on attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals. The clerestorey has an internal moulded string course, and on each side 3 restored windows each of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 4-centred head. In the E wall of the N chapel is a restored window of 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 4-centred head, with hollow-moulded splays and rear-arch. In the N wall are 3 restored windows; the easternmost is uniform with the E window; the others are each of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head, with hollow-moulded splays and rear-arch. At the W end of the N wall is a small doorway with moulded jambs and 4-centred head into the semi-octagonal rood-stair turret. The W arch is 2-centred and of 2 continuous chamfered orders. The S chapel is generally similar to the N chapel, and has an E window similar to that of the N chapel. In the S wall are 3 windows similar to the E window; below the middle window is a doorway with moulded jambs and 4-centred arch in a square head, with a moulded label; each spandrel is carved with a lion. The arch is uniform with that of the N chapel. The Nave has N and S arcades each of 5 bays with moulded 2-centred arches and labels; the columns are similar to those in the Chancel. The clerestorey has a similar moulded string-course, and on each side 5 similar restored windows. The N aisle has in the N wall 4 restored windows each of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head, with hollow-moulded splays and rear-arch. Between the 2 western windows is the rebuilt N doorway, with moulded jambs and 2-centred head with a moulded label. In the W wall is a window uniform with those in the N wall. The S aisle is uniform with the N aisle except that the restored S doorway has moulded jambs, a 4-centred arch in a square head with cusped spandrels enclosing shields, and a moulded label. W of it is a small doorway with moulded jambs and 3-centred arch in a square head with recessed spandrels; the door is original, comprising 3 rebated wedge-shaped planks nailed to 4 rear ledges, with an incised ring- handle; it leads to a turret-stair to an upper room of the porch. The W tower and tower-arch are wholly of 1955-8. The S porch is of 2 storeys, with a C19 outer entrance. In each side is a restored window of 2 cinquefoiled lights in a 2-centred head with moulded label, with hollow-moulded jambs and rear-arch, the sill dropped to form a seat. The ribbed vault is restored, retaining a central boss carved with a pelican, 3 smaller bosses carved with leopard's heads, and one with a woman's head. In each angle is an attached shaft with moulded base and capital. The upper stage has 3 windows, restored. The RCHM reported that all the roofs are modern (i.e. after 1714), incorporating some old material. The roofs of the N and S chapels appear to be wholly C19, but all the others have the staining and shakes characteristic of ancient timber; as they were exposed to rain penetration from 1940 to 1955 it is difficult to determine from ground level how much of each roof is original and how much is C19 and C20 restoration. The low-pitched roof of the Chancel is in 7 bays, with moulded tiebeams, and 3 moulded butt-purlins in each bay, with plain rafters of horizontal section, and carved corbels (restored 1847). The low-pitched roof of the Nave is in 5 bays, with moulded tiebeams at half-bay intervals, short king- posts, and tracery above the tiebeams; 3 moulded butt-purlins in each bay; moulded wallplates, ashlar-pieces on carved corbels, with tracery in the arches between; plain rafters of horizontal section. The low-pitched lean-to roofs of the N and S aisles are in 5 bays, with moulded principal rafters at half-bay intervals, 2 moulded butt-purlins in each bay, moulded wallplates, arched braces from carved corbels, and plain rafters of horizontal section. Fittings. Piscina in S chapel, with moulded jambs and 4-centred arch with foliate carved spandrels and octagonal drain, C15. Recess for former piscina in N chapel, with segmental-pointed head. In Chancel, range of 3 sedilia with cinquefoiled 2-centred heads and moulded labels, moulded and shafted jambs with capitals and bases, C15. Stoup on S wall of S chapel, E of doorway, with broken round bowl, and base of pedestal, C15. Font with round bowl with shallow carved arcade of trefoiled arches on pilasters with imposts and stepped bases, round stem with 4 detached shafts, partly restored, having moulded capitals and bases, early C13. In the Chancel, floor-slabs to (1) Sir Mark Guyon, 1690, black marble with achievement of arms, (2) James Boys, A.M., black marble with achievement of arms, (3) Dame Dorcas Guyon, 1714, black marble; the last two are partly covered by the altar; on the N arcade, monuments to (1) William Boys, 1742, white marble tablet with pediment, (2) Henry Skingley, 1795, tablet of white, brown and black marble with lamp; on the S arcade, to (3) William Fuller, 1748, slate tablet with white marble pediment, and (4) Henry Skingley, 1839, white marble sarcophagus on grey marble. In the N chapel, brasses (1) [of John Paycock, 1533, and his wife] figures of man and woman, with indents of foot and marginal inscriptions, 5 scrolls, figure of Virgin and child, 2 groups of children and 4 shields, (2) of Thomas Peaycocke, 1580, figure of man in gown, foot and part of marginal inscription, indents of 5 plates and a scroll, (3) of George Laurance, 1594, inscription and merchant's mark, (4) of Thomas Aylett, 1638, plate with achievement of arms and inscription, (5) figures of 2 women with butterfly head-dress, c.1480, (6) said to be of William Goldwyre, 1514, figures of man in fur-lined gown and woman in pedimented head-dress, and (7) of John Oldam, 1599, inscription only; monuments of (1) John Grime, 1714, black marble with achievement of arms, on stone base, (2) Samuel Carter, 1777, with achievement of arms, (3) Thomas Andrew, 1826. In the S chapel, of (1) Thomas Guyon, 1664, black, grey and white marble altar-tomb with moulded slab and plain pilasters at the angles, (2) Edward Coldham Matthew, 1820, oval white marble tablet on black marble, (3) Mark Guyon, 1839, white and black marble tablet, and (4) Mary (Waters), wife of Robert Honywood, 1620, painted figure of woman kneeling at prayer-desk, flanked by Ionic columns supporting a pediment, lozenge and 2 shields of arms, 2 skulls and animal, in black and coloured marble (removed from Markshall parish church on its demolition in 1932). In the Nave, floor-slab of Jane and Elisabeth Boehm, 1738, Jane Boehm II, 1740, and Richarda Boehm, 1742, black marble. In the S aisle, monuments of (1) Robert Townsend, 1728, white marble tablet with achievement of arms, (2) Richard White Townsend, 1823, white stone tablet on black marble, with pediment, and loose, (3) Richard Meredith White, 1796, oval stone tablet, and (4) Mary Ann Dennis, 1827, white marble tablet. There are 9 bells, the fourth by Miles Graye, 1681, the fifth, sixth and seventh by Thomas Gardner, dated 1733, 1757 and 1733 respectively, and a C13/14 bell possibly by William Dawe, removed from Frating parish church, now used as a clock bell. Externally, against the S aisle and S wall of the tower, are 9 stone slabs, reversed or illegible, and one broken indent. The base of a churchyard cross recorded by the RCHM is not known now; and the headstones and table tomb recorded by the RCHM are not either, unless included in the above. RCHM 2.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.