© Mr A. Gude
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW,
ONGAR, EPPING FOREST, ESSEX
Mr A. Gude
09 June 2004
11 April 1984
Date of last amendment:
11 April 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 50 SW ONGAR GREENSTED
4/52 Church of St.
Church. A unique structure, the vertical split oak, log walls of the nave
said to have been dated by dendro-magnetic method to 845 AD. St. Edmund's
body reputedly rested here c.1013 whilst on its journey to Bury St. Edmunds.
The Church was re-roofed during reign of Henry VII and heavily restored and
underpinned 1837/48. Carved spandrels depicting the legend of St. Edmund were
added and dormer windows inserted. The Chancel was rebuilt in red brick c.1500
and there is an original arched and moulded doorway and window on the south
side. The timber framed and weatherboarded Tower, with a brooched shingle spire
is of uncertain date and has 3 louvre openings to the Belfry, and a 3 light
diamond leaded window. There is a 3 light window with cuspings and tracery
above to the ground floor. Nave and Chancel roofs of plain red tiles with 3
gabled dormers to north and south, each with 2 light, leaded windows and barge
boards to gables. Stone coping to Nave and Chancel gable ends. Chancel with
flint plinth, probably of the original Norman Chancel. Round head moulded brick
windows with drip hoods to north and south walls, in addition to the original
window and doorway. A 3 light east window with cusped tracery above, moulded
brick surround and label. Stone capped buttresses to all Chancel ends. Red
tiled, gabled South porch is timber framed with barge boards to gable.
Internally the Chancel Arch is of Cl6 moulded brick in two orders. There is
a pillar piscina of uncertain date, a small arched panel painting of St. Edmund
c1500 and in the west window a c.1500 stained glass head of a man reputed to
be St. Edmund. Pulpit of moulded timber panels dated 1698. Monuments T. Smith
1585, R. Hewyt, 26 April 1724. (RCHM 1; C.A. Hewett, 1974).