You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 122978  

Print Page



© Mr M W Keogh LRPS

IoE Number: 122978
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECTORY ROAD
  HAWKWELL, ROCHFORD, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr M W Keogh LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 November 2005
Date listed: 27 July 1959
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HAWKWELLRECTORY ROADTQ 89 SE4/6Church of St. Marythe Virgin27.7.59

HAWKWELL RECTORY ROAD TQ 89 SE 4/6 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 27.7.59 GV II* Parish church. C14 origin, C15 alterations and bell turret. C19 restorations. Stone rubble, red plain tiled roofs, weatherboarded bell turret, shingle spire. Chancel, Nave, north west vestry, bell turret, south porch. Chancel, east wall, buttressed at angles, C19 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2 centre arch, label with head stops, no windows to north wall, south wall window of 2 trefoiled lights, square head and label, former doorway to west now partly blocked and converted into a trefoiled window with 2 centre arch. Nave south wall, 3 buttresses one at western angle, one to east of south porch and one at junction of Nave and Chancel. C19 2 light ogee window, traceried roundels over, square head and label. Gabled south porch, bargeboards to gable, panel dated 1884. 5 cant roof, each timber stop chamfered. Wooden side seats. South doorway C15 or earlier, 2 centre arch of 2 chamfered orders, segmental rear arch. 5 board nailed door, the 2 strap hinges with incised chevron motifs. Similar window to north wall. Lean-to north vestry with concrete tiled upper roof and corrugated asbestos to lower level, C20 fixed window and a 2 centre arched window to west wall. Angle buttresses to Nave west wall and a C19/C20 window of 3 cinquefoil lights, tracery over. 2 centre arched head and label. Interior. Chancel, plastered 7 cant roof, moulded wall plates. Piscina, sunk chamfered square surround, square drain in forward square bowl with square soffit. C20 stained glass to east and south windows. Chamfered 2 centred Chancel arch, moulded capital to semi-octagonal attached shaft. Late C20 altar and altar rails. No pulpit, no font. Nave. C19 coloured tiled floor. Segmental head to north door. Roof of 7 cants with tall 4 armed octagonal crown post with moulded capital and base on chamfered tie beam. Moulded wall plates. Some C19 stained glass to windows. Brass on south door dated 1857 relates to will of Robert Sudley Jan. 16, 1615 who left money to purchase 6 acres of land known as The Poor Lands and a double cottage for the use of the poor of this parish. Belfry, timber frame with corner posts, arched braces to side girts. Saltire upper braces. Later inserted posts and braces. Chamfered and square cut mouldings to eastern corner posts. RCHM 1.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.