© Mr M W Keogh LRPS
HOCKLEY SPA ROOMS, SPA ROAD
HOCKLEY, ROCHFORD, ESSEX
Mr M W Keogh LRPS
11 October 1999
26 June 1972
Date of last amendment:
26 June 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HOCKLEY SPA ROAD
TQ 89 SW
3/35 No. 54. (Hockley Spa Rooms)
Pump rooms of small spa started early 1840's by Robert Clay and his wife who
discovered a medicinal spring 1838. Built to designs of John Lockyer, 1842.
Now part of a factory. The building was used as a Baptist Chapel. Stucco
faced, grey slate roof. Of 5 bays, the 3 centre bays break forward. Heavy
moulded cornice and parapet. 4 Tuscan pilasters to centre bays. 1:3:1 tall
windows with semi-circular heads and glazing bars. Central parapet panel with
title Hockley Spa. Later glazed brick extensions with corrugated iron roof to
left bay. Right rear return with 5 Tuscan pilasters, moulded pediment and
blocked semi-circular headed window. A C20 factory extends to rear and right
and a C19 red brick house to left.