You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 127423  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 127423
Location: EASTLEACH HOUSE,
  EASTLEACH, COTSWOLD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 05 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 05 February 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EASTLEACHEASTLEACH MARTINSP 1905-200513/175Eastleach HouseGVII

EASTLEACH EASTLEACH MARTIN SP 1905-2005 13/175 Eastleach House GV II Large country house. 1900 by Walter Cave for Charles Dimsdale. Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate roof. Stylistically combining Queen Anne and Cotswold Tudor revivals. Central stair hall plan; 2-storey with cellar. North (entrance) front: north range given vertical emphasis at centre by projection with 3 moulded parapet gables with ball finials. Fenestration mainly concentrated in this part: central moulded Tudor arched doorway with initials 'C' and 'B' in left and right spandrels respectively - Cave and Bazley. Flanking single-lights; large stair window over is mullioned and transomed with 5 upper and 3 lower lights. Continuous hoodmoulds extend to ground and upper floor 4-light casements below outer gables. All casements to this part have decorative leading. Two fine lead rainwater heads. South (garden) front: central gabled projecting wing with moulded parapets to sides linking with 2 smaller parapet gables above main fenestration. Mullioned and transomed casement to each floor of wing with keyed oval gable vent having pierced stone screen. Mullioned casements below outer gables. Row of 4 diagonal chimney shafts with moulded caps set transverse to ridge to left of central wing. West elevation: 2 parapet gabled ends of north and south ranges enclose small courtyard with Tudor arched doorway in mullioned and transomed screen to ground floor. Main gables have 2-light attic vents with decorative timber screens. Interior: very distinctive with simple panelling and boldly projecting, simplified mouldings. Fireplaces are classically derived but with attenuated column mantelshelf supports rather similar to Voysey's detailing. Central hall has fine staircase with involved plan forming a half landing above main entrance lobby. Hall fireplace has carved datestone 'GSB 1900'. Gardner Sebastian Bazley had inherited Sir Thomas Bazley's estate by 1900, Sir Thomas having started the house for his daughter and son-in- law, using stone from a large ruined house at Macaroni Downs Farm. Walter Cave's one major Cotswold House stands on prominent position to east of village. Stable and coach house to east (q.v.), built for previous house on this site; also lodge to west (q.v.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.