You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 129907  

Print Page



© Mr Innes G. Inglis

IoE Number: 129907
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  LOWER SLAUGHTER, COTSWOLD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Innes G. Inglis
Date Photographed: 28 March 2002
Date listed: 25 August 1960
Date of last amendment: 25 August 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LOWER SLAUGHTERSP 162210/23Church of St Mary25.8.60-

SP 1622 LOWER SAUGHTER Church of St Mary 1654/10/23 25.08.60 GV II* 1867 retaining C13 arcade. By Benjamin Ferrey for Charles Shapland Whitmore. Coursed square rubble with Cotswold stone roof. Nave, north aisle, chancel, aisle, chapel and west tower. Early English and Decorated styles except the restored north arcade which has 3 cylindrical piers with scalloped capitals and pointed chamfered arches: late C12 or early C13 Transitional Norman. Almost all the fittings are Victorian or modern with little interest except one window by Clayton & Bell 1867, the 2-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and a broad spire behind parapets pierced by trefoils. Tub font. C13 piscina in chancel. Early C20 alabaster reredos. Ledgers, C19 brasses and glass to Whitmore family.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.