You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 131379  

Print Page



© Mrs Marion Teal

IoE Number: 131379
Location: COURTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, CHAPEL LANE (west side)
  STROUD, STROUD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Marion Teal
Date Photographed: 10 August 2001
Date listed: 25 June 1974
Date of last amendment: 15 February 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

County Primary School. Chapel Lane, Ebley 16/211 should be amended to read: The Count,v Primaw 2chool, the Cemeter,v railings, the Congregational Chapel, inaludinz wall +and gmtes, and the Co++axq ad,iomin+ Congrezational Chwel on eas+ side form a group. - ------------------------------------ STROUD CHAPEL LANE STROUD CHAPEL LANE SO 8204 NE West side), Ebley 16/211 County Primary School the entry shall be amended to read: SO 8204 NE 16/211 STROUD CHAPEL LANE (West side), Ebley 16/211 Ebley Chapel and attached boundary walls to east (Formerly listed as: CHAPEL LANE (West side) Ebley County B%my School) GV II Chapel, former British School. Dated 1840, with extension of 1896. Coursed and dressed limestone, with ashlar dressings and facade: slate roofs with boxed eaves. Single-cell former schoolroom, with 1896 extension to north side. The 1840 building has blind arches to the ground floor under large sashes above, formerly 12-pane but with horizontal glazing bars removed. South front, facing the newly-formed Huntingdon Close, has 5 sashes and blind arches, separated by broad pilasters, a broad cill band and an eaves band. At east and west sides there is a very large 12-pane sash, taken below the line of the cill band, and flanked by sash each side (similar to south side sashes). At the east (entrance) end there is a raised stone commemorative panel under the central sash. Lower hipped range of 1894-to north, also with eaves band and boxed eaves: pair of part-glazed doors under a plain fanlight, in very deep arched reveals, to the left; long return front has 6 irregularly-spaced sashes, and the west end has a deep-set arched door, as at the entrance, on 3 stone steps, and a small 2-light casement. Interior not inspected. Subsidiary Features: ashlar east boundary wall, stone-coped with pair of central cast-iron gates flanked by piers with heavy weathered stone cappings; similar but smaller piers terminate the wall at either end. At the south end is a lower wall in coursed stone with capping, stopped to the south-east corner of the chapel, and with a single small iron gate at its junction with the main wall. CHAPEL LANE WEST SIDE EBLEY County Primary School SO 8204 NE 16/211 II. GV 2. 1840 (dated). Former British School. Ashlar. flipped slate roof. 1 storey. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Plain stringcourse below windows. 5 bays, divided by pilasters on south elevation: 5 double-hung sash windows with glazing bars. 1 blind semi-circular arch below stringcourse on south elevation, 2 on east. Extension of 1896(dated). Hammerdressed stone. Hipped slate roof, 1 storey. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. 6 double-hung sash windows with glazing bars, School,Chapel, Manse, Cottage adjoiining Chapel, and Cemetery Railings form a group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.