You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 134351  

Print Page



© Mr Brian F. Squires

IoE Number: 134351
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD
  MAISEMORE, TEWKESBURY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian F. Squires
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 10 January 1955
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MAISEMORECHURCH ROADSO 8021-81218/60Church of St. Giles10-1-55

MAISEMORE CHURCH ROAD SO 8021-8121 8/60 Church of St. Giles 10-1-55 GV II* Parish church. C15, early C16, 1844, 1869 by Fulljames and Waller. Coursed, squared lias with ashlar dressings, ashlar to porch, stone slate roof. Four-bay nave, north aisle, west tower, south porch, chancel, vestry. South facade: 3-stage tower, moulded top to plinth, diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses. Second stage 2-light reticulated-tracery window, similar third with stone louvres; upper part third stage ashlar; crenellated parapet, string below with 2 gargoyles, moulded rib up corner: pyramid roof with iron weathervane. Nave: square-set end and intermediate buttresses, 3-light C19 reticulated-tracery windows, eastern Perpendicular. Plain projecting eaves. Porch in second bay, plinth, diagonal corner buttresses, moulded door surround, 4- centre arch, hoodmould: half-glazed doors 1972. C19 statue over in original niche with hoodmould, sundial above: parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with cross lacking top member. Two-light window in returns, moulded wooden eaves. Chancel slightly set back from nave: plinth, 2-light reticulated-tracery window, square-set corner buttress. Parapet gables to nave and chancel, cross-gablet apices with stone crosses, additional gablet foot of chancel slope. East end 3-light Geometric-tracery window, floriate stops to hoodmould. North elevation, chancel as south; vestry projects, plinth, boarded door and cinquefoil-headed lancet left return: 2- light window with hoodmould north face, parapet gable over, with stump of chimney at apex, stone offsets. Aisle projects on right; plinth, end and centre square-set buttresses, 4 windows, left 3- light Perpendicular tracery, rest 2-light reticulated. Parapet gables with cross-gable apices and stone crosses, stump of chimney on bottom of west gable. Tower, as south side, but window only in third stage: 3 lancets below for stairs. West face: 3-light window with hoodmould to aisle, tower as south, but boarded door with arched, moulded stone surround, 2-light window above offset to right, Decorated tracery, hoodmould. Second stage blank, third as south. Interior: porch arch-braced collar-rafter roof, inserted plastered barrel vault since removed. Nave: octagonal piers with moulded capitals, hoodmould to arches; wide C19 chancel arch with corbelled inner section; iron railing on stone base below. Swelling capitals as at Ashleworth to tower arch. Open, hammer- beam roof trusses, rising from stone corbels, with intermediate half trusses; 2 pairs purlins, wind braces to upper, square ridge piece, exposed rafters. North aisle roof arch-braced collar trusses, one pair purlins with wind braces. Three-bay chancel, dado panelling and reredos as War Memorial; arch-braced collar trusses with short king-post, one pair purlins, painted decoration to chamfers on wallplate and braces. Semi-octagonal wooden Jacobean pulpit, corner columns and strapwork, on stone base: probably C18 hour-glass stand. Octagonal stone front, said to be cut down in C15 from Norman one, on C19 stone base; early C18 wooden cover. George III royal arms over south door. Wheeler wall monument in aisle, with scrolls, cherub and broken pediment, 1680; marble wall monuments to W. Pembruge, 1738, Pitt, 1784: 3 late C17 wall monuments in nave. Chancel restored 1844, further extensive restoration 1869 when north aisle added and gallery removed; no medieval window tracery left in nave or chancel. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory, 1897)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.