You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 134357  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Harnwell

IoE Number: 134357
Location: MAISEMORE COURT, OLD COURT, NEW COURT, CHURCH ROAD
  MAISEMORE, TEWKESBURY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Harnwell
Date Photographed: 25 August 2007
Date listed: 26 November 1986
Date of last amendment: 26 November 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MAISEMORECHURCH ROADSO 8021-81218/66Maisemore Court, Old Court,New Court

MAISEMORE CHURCH ROAD SO 8021-8121 8/66 Maisemore Court, Old Court, New Court GV II* Former manor house, now farmhouse and 2 attached houses. Early C17, enlarged and altered late C18 for W. Pitt, C19, minor alterations mid C20. Pebble-dashed render to stonework, ashlar quoins and details to bow window; English bond brickwork north- west corner, Monk bond north-east, slate roof. Irregular H plan, 5-bay entrance front to garden, 3-bay link, 2 rooms deep, 2 1/2 storeys. East front; entrance front to part from late C18 to 1940's; stone plinth, flush stone quoins to main section; dummy window recess on left. Half-glazed door with 2 flush panels below, flush-panelled reveals, all up 4 stone steps with nosings. Half Doric columns each side, full frieze and pediment with guttae over. Two sashes to right. First floor, blind window, 3 sashes, plain string course and parapet over, plain stone capping sweeping up to 3 equally spaced, plain brick chimneys. Two gabled dormers behind in gaps between chimneys, with 2-light casements, large chimney on ridge behind right-hand eaves one. Parapet gables with cross-gablet apices. Lower wing slightly set back on right, 6- panel door on left, up one wooden step, top 2 panels glazed; 16- pane sash to right. Above two 16-pane sashes, plain parapet, parapet gable on right. Left return (south facade), gabled wings right and left; plinth, flush quoins. Right gable 2-storey bow window, curved sashes, ashlar pillars between: to left 3 sash windows in set-back centre: 3-light hollow-chamfered stone- mullioned window in left wing, hoodmould. First floor, bay on right as below, plain parapet to flat roof; 2 sashes in set-back centre, one in left wing. Parapet gables to wings, with former 2- light, hollow-chamfered, mullioned windows, centre mullion since removed, 2-light casement inserted on right, 6-pane window on left. Large, external stone chimney on left return, with stone offsets and brick top. Interior: Maisemore Court: dado rail and moulded cornices to main rooms on ground floor, panelled shutters to rooms on left. Hall, stone paving, 6-panel doors, dentil cornice; stairs, fretwork ends to treads, turned balusters, moulded handrail, wreath at bottom, ramped to landings; oval dome over. Left front, Adam-style fireplace over stone surround, cast-iron fireback, IFC 1588, said to have come from Sussex; dust-ledge panelling, probably late C19. Room behind Adam-style fireplace, cornice brought out over windows. Early C18 stone fireplace surround in pantry, with keystone; cast- iron grate for heating flat irons. Painting of man with whip on wall in cupboard off kitchen. First floor 6-panel doors: panelled shutters to most rooms. Three stone fireplace surrounds with cast-iron grates. Dust-ledge panelling main bedroom, Adam style fireplace, cast-iron grate with reeded frame and corner paterae. Timber-framed wall in square panels to room beyond, boarded door with L hinges. Two pairs purlins main roof, curved wind braces; angle-strut truss over kitchen, one pair purlins, square ridge. Old Court: timber-framed cross walls with segmental door heads: close studded wall to rear. Exposed, unchamfered joists in main room on right. Dust-ledge panelling to first floor room in centre link; hollow chamfer to 2-light stone- mullioned window on left. C17 house 'U' plan open to south with porch on north towards farmyard, and one cross wing projecting same side. Wing later extended, also other cross wing towards farmyard, and angle to porch infilled. Forms group with church and stables (q.v.). Described as 'a good house' by Atkyns. House divided into 2 properties by 1740, recombined probably after 1822, but part still used as cottage early C20: again subdivided mid C20. (Atkyns, The Ancient & Present State of Gloucestershire, 1712; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; Gloucs R.O. - G.D.R. G2/3)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.