You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 134834  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Harnwell

IoE Number: 134834
Location: WORMINGTON GRANGE AND STABLE BLOCK,
  STANTON, TEWKESBURY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Harnwell
Date Photographed: 03 December 2005
Date listed: 04 July 1960
Date of last amendment: 07 September 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STANTON-SP 03 SW3/53Wormington Grange and yard wall(formerly listed as part of4.7.60Wormington Grange and Stable block)

STANTON - SP 03 SW 3/53 Wormington Grange and yard wall (formerly listed as part of 4.7.60 Wormington Grange and Stable block) GV II* Country house, and kitchen yard wall. Probably 1770's for N. Jeffreys, enlarged 1826-'7 by H. Hakewill for J. Gist; minor alterations 1920's by Sir G. Dawber for Mrs Clegg and mid C20 by A.S.G. Butler. Ashlar stone, slate roof, corrugated asbestos to part of west face. Three-room, 3-storey garden front, single- storey loggia left, 2-storey, 3-window wing to right, forming left return of 3-room main entrance front: long service wing behind, 3, 2 and 1 storeys. Main entrance: slightly-recessed centre above projecting porch: prostyle tetrastyle Ionic porch up one stone step, cornice and pediment over; Doric pilasters on corners of wings each side behind, recess behind in returns, semi-circular with semi-circular head: back wall double half-glazed doors, rectangular light over, framed by Roman Doric pilasters; either side tall 8-pane sashes, framed half pilasters; coffered ceiling. In recess above porch 2-light casement window, marginal outer lights, framed Doric pilasters. Wings, plinth, panelled giant pilasters on corners; tripartite sash window ground floor, panelled pilasters, frieze, framed Roman Doric pilasters carrying further frieze and cornice. First floor tripartite, tall, 6-pane sash window, Doric pilasters. Moulded cornice to whole front, plain parapet above, set forward over giant pilasters. Hipped roof, chimneys on ridge either side centre bay. To right yard wall, slightly set back, about 2m high, plain coping, 11 bays to corner, with higher piers between each bay. Left return, garden front: on right plinth, giant corner pilasters and cornice as main entrance: between 3 sash windows in moulded surround to ground floor, plain double string course, 3 tall 6-pane sashes, moulded surrounds. To left, 3-unit original entrance front, bows either side centre. Plinth to bows, 3 sashes, plain string course above. In centre single-storey open porch, Roman Doric pillars up 2 stone steps, frieze and pediment over: behind half-glazed double doors; plain recess each side. First floor, 3 sashes to each bow with linked sills, sash window in centre, with semi-circular recess each side. Moulded cornice: second floor three 6-pane sashes each bow, one between, with patera each side. Moulded string course, plain parapet, hipped roof, chimney on ridge each side centre bay. On left single-storey, 3-bay loggia, panelled pilasters at ends, unfluted Ionic columns between, all up one stone step; cornice, plain parapet, raised in centre. Interior: 'T' shaped entrance hall, 2 unfluted Ionic columns with Roman Doric pilasters form. screen: 6-panelled doors with moulded cornice on console brackets over in wings: semi-circular recess centre rear, semi-circular head, moulded surround with console keystone, wide panelled pilasters each side. Coffered ceiling around laylight centre rear. Room to right, centre recess to end, cambered head, framed pilasters with variant Ionic capitals: 6- panel doors either side in Greek-Revival frames. Moulded plaster cornice: simple coffering around perimeter of ceiling. Room to left marble fireplace surround, panelled shutters, moulded cornice, panelled ceiling. Stair hall through 3 floors: double panelled doors to old entrance hall, dummy to match adjoining with decorative frieze. Cantilevered, dogleg stone stairs, cast-iron balusters, wreath at foot of handrail: anthemion frieze, coffered ceiling around laylight. Library, Greek-Revival marble fireplace, mahogany built-in book shelves with wire-screen doors, moulded cornice: moulded cornice to ceiling, panelled shutters. House built 1770's, two-storey garden entrance: second floor, stairs, and new entrance wing added 1826-'7; Hakewill may have been assisted by Goldicutt. Loggia added 1920's; part of service wing removed mid C20, and minor alterations made. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; C. Hussey, English Country Houses, Late Georgian, 1958)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.