You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 135186  

Print Page



© Mr Adam R. Stanford

IoE Number: 135186
Location: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE,
  DUMBLETON, TEWKESBURY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Adam R. Stanford
Date Photographed: 22 June 2004
Date listed: 04 July 1960
Date of last amendment: 04 July 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SO 93 SEDUMBLETONWORMINGTON VILLAGE2/90Church of St Catherine4.7.60

SO 93 SE DUMBLETON WORMINGTON VILLAGE 2/90 Church of St Catherine 4.7.60 GV II* Small Anglican church. Reputed to have been built by the Abbot of Hailes in 1475, probably on the site of a C12 church; altered c1800; some fixtures by Ernest Gimson, installed 1926. West end of nave rubble, otherwise random squared and dressed limestone; stone slate roof with an ashlar stack; wooden bellcote. Small nave with north and south aisles with dormers in the position of transepts; chancel with parallel vestry on the north; small lean- to on the south. West end: C20 nine-panel door probably by Ernest Gimson, within a C18 entrance arch with paired columns either side, blind trefoil-headed panels between each pair of columns which are linked by a roll-moulded horizontal at the top; large trefoil- headed window with leaded panes within an ovolo-moulded surround with possibly earlier hood above. Five C12 corbels below the bell turret including bears' heads and a pair of human faces. Buttress with offsets at the east end of the south wall; three-light window with trefoil heads to each light within a 4-centred arched surround towards the east end; 2-light 4-centred arched window with trefoil-headed lights towards the east end; wide blocked pointed- arched opening below the dormer indicating position of former crypt; stone with three differing incised consecration crosses clm west of the sill of the dormer matching fenestration to the north aisle. Chancel south wall: wide segmental-headed opening with limestone blocking containing the brick head of a smaller segmental-headed opening indicating the position of another crypt. Perpendicular 3-light east window. Two C19 two-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights with moulded hoods to the north wall of the vestry. White weatherboarded bell turret at the west end with cinquefoil-headed 2-light openings with wooden louvres; leaded battlements and pyramidal roof. Flat and stepped gable end coping. C18 pointed finials to the east end of the nave and dormers. Plastered interior: C20 facetted roofs to the nave and chancel, similar roofs to the side aisles; flagged and plank flooring installed 1926. Perpendicular 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers with moulded capitals and matching responds. C14 chancel arch with an almost round head and a continuous double flat chamfer; wide moulded C19 Tudor-arched opening with engaged columns forming the jambs from the chancel to the vestry; large restored trefoil- headed piscina in the south wall of the chancel. Anglo-Saxon stone. Crucifix, excavated from the grounds of Wormington Grange but said to have originally come from Winchcombe Abbey, now reset in the east wall of the south aisle. C15 octagonal stone font with blind quatrefoils on each side. Simple oak pews; octagonal oak pulpit with small fielded panels and communion rail with turned balusters and lozenge decoration where installed and presumably designed by Ernest Gimson in 1926. Rebuilt C17 oak choir stalls incorporating large C17 carved panels with nulling and guilloche decoration and C15 stall ends with blind crocketed arches. Mid-late C17 carved oak chair and mid-late C18 chair in chancel. Altar comprises a simple table presented in 1959. C17 carved oak chest in vestry. Two late C17-early C18 chairs with pierced backs and restored seats in the sanctuary. Tapestry curtains in north chancel arch from a design by William Morris. Stained glass east window by William Morris and Co. in memory of Francis Clayton of Birmingham, died 1912. Some well preserved fragments of C15 glass in the westernmost window of the north and south aisles. Monuments on chancel north wall from left to right: brass memorial plaque of 1900; oval slatestone tablet to Samuel Gist, Lord of the Manor, died 1815. Chancel south wall from left to right: slatestone memorial with decorative border to William Anderson, died 1796; slatestone monument to John Partridge, former Rector, died 1775; slatestone monument with decorative border to James Partridge, former Rector, died 1734, inscriptions exfoliating at time of resurvey - March 1987. Two simple matching limestone tablets with crudely incised inscriptions below, one to John Partridge, former Rector, one to Mary his wife, died 1700; early C15 incised grave slab, depicting a man flanked by two wives with a very worn inscription round the border. Brass to Anne Savage, died 1605 showing an interesting representation of a lady's bed chamber and dress at the beginning of the C17, two heraldic shields either side. White and black marble monument to Hon Mary Gist, died 1844 and two other similar C19 tablets by Lewis of Cheltenham. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.