© Mr Stuart Goodall
ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, ST MICHAEL'S SQUARE
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mr Stuart Goodall
24 August 2000
14 July 1953
Date of last amendment:
08 October 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. ST MICHAEL'S SQUARE
Church of St Michael
(formerly listed as
St Michael's Church)
SU 4111 3/227 14.7.53
This is the only mediaeval parish church remaining intact in central Southampton
It dates from circa 1070 when Norman immigrants were settling in this quarter
of the town and further work was done in the C12, C13, C14, C15, 1828 and
1872. It was the civic church of Southampton until 1835. Built of ashlar.
Base of central tower circa 1070 rest of tower late mediaeval. Nave west
wall is Norman but the west was rebuilt in the C14 to C15. North and south
aisles and chapels rebuilt and widened in late C14-C15 windows of various
dates but mainly C14 to C15. The steeple was added in 1732 as a landmark
for shipping. 1828-9 galleries were inserted to design of Francis Goodwin
and the aisles were heightened, the north aisle extended, the mediaeval nave
arcades replaced and new low-pitched roofs constructed. The galleries were
later removed in 1872. Two C13 trefoiled piscinas, one in the north chapel
and one against the north wall of the tower. Very fine black Tournai marble
font of circa 1170 similar to that in Winchester Cathedral. Two mediaeval
lecterns, one early C15 Flemish rescued from Holy Rood Church the other late
C15. Tomb with effigy to Chief Justice Sir Richard Lyster (died 1553) who
lived nearby at Tudor House, Bugle Street (qv). C18 and C19 tablets.
Underneath the church in the north-west corner is a late mediaeval vault which
is a scheduled ancient monument.