You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 139033  

Print Page

© Mr Charles Cordy-Simpson

IoE Number: 139033
Location: THE VYNE,
Photographer: Mr Charles Cordy-Simpson
Date Photographed: 06 June 2006
Date listed: 26 April 1957
Date of last amendment: 26 April 1957
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SU 65 NW SHERBORNE ST JOHN VYNE PARK 5/82 26.4.57 The Vyne I 1500 to 1520, mid C17, C18, C19. The original house for Lord Sandys substantially remains as a 2-storeyed U-shaped structure, with 3-storeyed towers at the external corners, and a chapel (1518-27) attached at the east side. The north front was a symmetrical design of windows, with the added chapel (4 windows) ending in a half-octagon; the centre 3 bays were altered by the addition of a full-height portico. Red brick walling in English bond, with diaper patterns, stone weathered bands, plinth, crenellated parapet. The windows have C17 moulded stone frames, with C18 sashes within; those of the chapel have the original mullioned and transomed stone frames, the taller beneath 4 central arches and hood-moulds. The centre 3 bays were altered about 1654, with the provision of a classical portico (said to be the earliest, and by John Webb) with a pedimented wooden entablature, brick cheeks with wide tall openings, stucco columns (2 circular within square corner columns), carved stone Corinthian caps; the interior is also stuccoed, with an upper window (and small balustrade) above the doorway, both with architraves. The south front has flanking wings which end as gables containing 2-storeyed (C18) bays, there is a projecting wing of one bay in each angle (together with a stack) and a projecting centrepiece with a C19 2-storeyed porch, of windows. The walling is the same, with a plain parapet. Stone classical doorcases occur in the end blocks (facing inwards) and in the centre, and between them is a shallow paved court bounded by a balustrade. On the east side are basement windows of the original structure. The house is notable for its interiors, which include a first-floor gallery lined with linen-fold wainscot, panelled rooms, an original interior to the chapel with panelling and stained glass, and a classical staircase hall of about 1780, having Doric and Corinthian Orders and coffered ceilings. Note: there is an extensive bibliography about the Vyne, which now belongs to the National Trust.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.