You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 150606  

Print Page



© Mr Brian F. Squires

IoE Number: 150606
Location: CHURCH OF ST.MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH ROAD (west side)
  EARDISLEY, HEREFORDSHIRE, HEREFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian F. Squires
Date Photographed: 17 September 2003
Date listed: 16 October 1967
Date of last amendment: 16 October 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EARDISLEY CPCHURCH ROAD (west side)SO 3049 - 31497/51Church of St Mary Magdalene16.10.67GVI

EARDISLEY CP CHURCH ROAD (west side) SO 3049 - 3149 7/51 Church of St Mary Magdalene 16.10.67 GV I Parish church. C12 origins, altered circa 1200, late C13, early and late C14 and part rebuilt early C18. Restored in 1863 by E Christian. Coursed sand- stone rubble with ashlar dressings, stone-tiled roof laid in diminishing courses with decorative ridge tiles and some gable-end parapets with cross finials. North-west tower, aisled nave with south clerestorey, five-bay north arcade, four-bay south arcade and south porch, and two-bay chancel. North-west tower: rebuilt circa 1708 after a fire. Four stages with strings and battered plinth. The lower stage has a pointed north doorway and a rectangular west light which interrupts the plinth. The second stage has a smaller rectangular light in the north and west walls and a blocked south window. The third stage has a rectangular light in the south side and an east clockface. The belfry stage has rectangular louvred bell chamber open- ings above which are round arches filled with rubble. There is an embattled parapet and a shallow pyramidal roof with a weathervane. A lean-to addition adjoins the south side. Nave: circa 1200. West end has a buttress with offsets at the south side, a C14 blind pointed archway and, above it, a 3- light C14 windows. The clerestorey was added circa 1330 and has three square-headed 3-light windows and, at the western end, a pair of cusped ogee-arched lights. The north aisle was added in the early C13 and widened and extended to the east by two bays in the late C13. It has a gabled roof, and there is a buttress at the north-east corner and a C19 buttress at the centre of the north elevation. In the north elevation are four early C14 windows including a pair of cusped lancets, three stepped cusped lancets, a 2-light window and a single cusped lancet. There is also a north doorway with a painted arch and chamfered jambs. At the east end is a tall 3-light window and a small lancet in the gable apex. The south aisle is earlier, probably circa 1200 and probably represents the extent of the whole church at that time, the easternmost bay being a former chapel leading from the Norman chancel. It has a lean-to roof and in the south wall are two square- headed 2-light C14 windows and a 3-light circa 1300 window. At the east end is a pair of cusped lancets, also circa 1300. The south porch is late C14 and gabled. It has a pointed archway of two moulded orders with moulded imposts and a cusped ogee-arched light in the east side. The late C14 south doorway has a four-centred head and moulded jambs. Chancel: added circa 1300. It has a 3-light east window with a hoodmould and in the south wall are three stepped lancets, a pair of cusped lancets and a central pointed doorway with chamfered jambs. Interior: there is no masonry chancel arch. South arcade was cut through the former aisleless nave and has round arches with imposts and chamfered piers with carved stops. The third pier from the west end is much larger and formerly stood between the Norman nave and chancel; it has a round-arched recess with a C14 moulding on the north side and an ogee-arched recess on the west side. There is also a C14 ogee arched recess in the west side of the south-east respond. The unmoulded easternmost arch is the original former opening to a chapel of the Norman chancel and at the very east end of the arcade are the C14 upper and lower doorways to the rood loft, both of which have square heads. The north arcade is also of two dates; the three westernmost arches are C13 and have two-centred heads of two chamfered orders with octagonal columns and semi-circular responds. The two easternmost arches are circa 1330; the first one is smaller and has crocketted hoodmoulds with head stops and finials on both sides whilst the second is wider and has a hoodmould on the south side. At the eastern end of the arcade is a C14 ogee arched squint. A round-arched doorway at the end of the north aisle leads into the tower. The nave has an ashlared collar truss roof and the chancel has a wagon roof at the west end of which is the moulded timber chancel arch on foliated corbels with human head bases. There is an early C14 cusped piscina in the chancel and at the east end of the south aisle is a C13 cusped piscina. Font is mid-C12 and among the best examples of the Herefordshire School (cf Castle Frome). It has a circular bowl with cable-necking on a splayed base with an interwoven design. Upper and lower parts of bowl have bands of interlacing and main part has figure reliefs representing the Harrowing of Hell, two men fighting and a large lion. There is a late C15 sallet and a late C16 combed helmet on the east wall of the nave. Memorials: in south aisle to Alice Harper, died 1680, with segmental pediment and scrolled surround. In north aisle are two mid-C18 monuments to the Barnesley family and in the chancel are two mid- C19 memorials to the Hodgson family, and four mid-C19 memorials, two at the east end with crocketted and finialed arched niches and flanking pinnacled buttresses to the Coke and Cockburn families. There are also some C17 brasses - in the north aisle to Sydney Conyingesbye, died 1627, and Sir Humphrey Baskerville, died 1617, and in the nave to George Coke, died 1646, and Henry Harper, died 1687. Also C14 coffin lid in tower and numerous ledger slabs, many of late C17 and early C18 date and also a broken circa 1400 one in the south aisle. (RCHM, III, p 52-3, item 1; BoE, p 120-1).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.