You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 156490  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Harnwell

IoE Number: 156490
Location: IPSLEY COURT (NORTH WING), BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side)
  REDDITCH, REDDITCH, WORCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Harnwell
Date Photographed: 20 July 2004
Date listed: 10 April 1954
Date of last amendment: 28 November 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

REDDITCH BBERRINGTON CLOSE (west side)SP 06 NEIpsley2/14Ipsley Court (north wing)(formerly Listed as Ipsley

REDDITCH B BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side) SP 06 NE Ipsley 2/14 Ipsley Court (north wing) (formerly Listed as Ipsley 10.4.54 Court South Wing and North Wing now used as Stable block) ) GV II North wing of large house, converted to barn and stable, now offices. Late C17 (with earlier origins); altered c1724 and mid-C18; restored and remodelled late C20. Handmade red brick in English bond with steeply-pitched machine- tiled hipped roof and brick ridge stack. L-plan; main part of roughly six bays aligned east/west with south-west single-bay return; wagon bay with opposed round-headed cart entries situated in fourth bay from east end of main part. Two storeys with chamfered plinth, two-course band between main storeys and prominent C18 moulded and bracketed eaves cornice, now much restored. Windows are all C20 casements some of which are inserted in original (or C18) openings; two double doors with transom lights at east end of south elevation; also blind round-headed archway with stone impost blocks at east end of north elevation with inserted double doors and transom light. Round-headed archways in wagon bay are glazed and have glazed doors. Interior: wagon bay retains two collar and tie-beam trusses with two struts of probable mid-C18 date. Ipsley Court is believed to be the remains of the Great House built for Sir John Huband in C16. The south return of the north wing was originally attached to the central part of the house which was demolished in 1724 when it was sold to the Reverend John Colben. In the mid-C18 the surviving north wing and south wing (qv) were restored by Dr Walter Lander (father of W S Landor, the poet) and the north wing was altered to form a barn and stable. During the late C20 a new central section was built linked to the wings by brick walls. (VCH 3, p 123; BoE, p 201).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.