You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 156491  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Harnwell

IoE Number: 156491
Location: IPSLEY COURT (SOUTH WING), BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side)
  REDDITCH, REDDITCH, WORCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Harnwell
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 10 April 1954
Date of last amendment: 28 November 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

REDDITCH BBERRINGTON CLOSE (west side)SP 06 NEIpsley2/15Ipsley Court (south wing)(former1y listed as Tpsley Court

REDDITCH B BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side) SP 06 NE Ipsley 2/15 Ipsley Court (south wing) (former1y listed as Tpsley Court 10.4.54 South Wing and now used as a stable) GV II South wing of large house, now unoccupied offices. Late Cl7 (with earlier origins); altered c1724 and mid-C18; restored and remodelled late C20. Handmade red brick in English bond with steeply-pitched machine-tiled hipped roof and brick ridge stack. L-plan; main part of roughly six bays aligned east/west with north-west single-bay return; C18 full-height canted bay window at east end and two external chimmeys (one has some original brick- work) to south side elevation of main part. Two storeys and attic with dormers; chamfered plinth, two-course band between main storeys and promin- ent C18 style moulded and bracketed timber eaves cornice, now much restored. Irregular fenestration; windows are all C20 casements in new openings. Bay window addition is rendered and has 12-pane sash windows on both floors. Three gabled dormers on south side. Main entrance in north side with a large C20 lean-to glazed porch. Interior: extensively remodelled but retains its Cl? dog-leg staircase with large turned balusters and moulded handrail. At the rear of the north return a stone 4-centred.doorhead is reset in the wall. Ipsley Court is believed to be the remains of the Great House built for Sir John Huband in C16. The north return of the south wing was originally attached to the central part of the house which was demolished in 1724 when it was sold to the Reverend John Dolben. In the mid-C18 Dr Walter Landor (father of W S Landor, the poet) restored the surviving south wing and north wing (qv), the latter being altered to form a barn and stable. During the late C20 a new central section was built linked to the wings by brick walls. (VCH 3, p 123; BoE, p 201).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.