© Mr John Back
ST JOAN OF ARCS CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL, HIGH STREET (east side)
RICKMANSWORTH, THREE RIVERS, HERTFORDSHIRE
Mr John Back
23 February 2004
26 July 1951
Date of last amendment:
26 July 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 09 SE RICKMANSWORTH HIGH STREET
9/166 St. Joan of Arc's
26.7.51 Convent High School
House, now school. c.1720-30. Red brick, tiled roof. 5 bays. 2 storeys
and attic. Central entrance: 6 fielded panelled door, panelled reveals,
moulded lintel and jambs, Ionic doorcase with engaged fluted columns,
pediment. Glazing bar sashes in shallow reveals, gauged brick flat
arched heads. 9 pane sashes in attic. Moulded brick plinth and cornice.
Stone coped parapet. To rear: central entrance, panelled reveals, carved
brackets to hood, moulded architrave. Glazing bar sashes with cambered
heads. Ground floor canted bay added to right in C19. Left return plain
with a projecting addition. Set back to right are 3 storey additions of
1929 not of special interest. Interior: open well stair with carved
cheek pieces, moulded handrail, renewed balusters. Formerly The Elms,
home of George Eliot.