© Mr Les Brunton
LITTLE MUNDEN JMI SCHOOL (SOUTH EAST WING) (50 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH), CHURCH LANE (west side)
LITTLE MUNDEN, EAST HERTFORDSHIRE, HERTFORDSHIRE
Mr Les Brunton
29 July 2001
24 January 1984
Date of last amendment:
24 January 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 3321 LITTLE MUNDEN CHURCH LANE
10/3 Little Munden
- (SE wing)
(50m to S of church)
Village school. 1822 for Rev J P Reynolds rector 1819-1831.
(Trust Deed dated 25 Jan 1825), small extension for infants 1869,
enlarged 1900, 1970 and 1973. Uncoursed knapped flint with white
brick plinth, window surrounds, quoins and gable copings. Steep
slate roofs. E front to road all brick with stucco labels to 3
windows. A single-storey T plan building with N crosswing and
projecting gabled porch into narthex. Small 1869 extension to S
of porch in similar flint and bricks with cast iron lattice
casement. S gable of schoolroom has small arched openings and
gabled bellcote with bell. Roof of porch in fish-scale slates.
Tudor-arched chamfered doorway now a window. Recessed 10/10
small paned top hung windows with segmental arches and labels.
Moulded gable kneelers and louvred gable opening to cross-wing.
N and W faces of crosswing facing churchyard are flint faced.
Large arched window (blocked) on W end. An early example of a
parish school. Included for group value.