You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164296  

Print Page



© Mr Douglas Fairbank LRPS

IoE Number: 164296
Location: TYTTENHANGER HOUSE, COURSERS ROAD (north side)
  RIDGE, HERTSMERE, HERTFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Douglas Fairbank LRPS
Date Photographed: 31 July 2001
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 12 August 1985
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 10 SERIDGECOURSERS ROAD(North side)Ridge3/242Tyttenhanger House

TL 10 SE RIDGE COURSERS ROAD (North side) Ridge 3/242 Tyttenhanger House 25.2.52 (Formerly listed as Tyttenhanger House,London Colney) GV I Former country house, now offices. c.1655 for Sir H.Blount possibly by P.Mills. Altered early C18. Repaired 1783 and 1789 by Sir J.Soane for C.Yorke. Extended C18. Few C19/C20 alterations. Red brick, moulded and gauged dressings. Stone plinth, possibly re-used material from earlier building on site. Steep hipped tiled roof. Squarish H plan with shallow projecting wings. Artisan Mannerist Style. 3 storeys and attic. Symmetrical garden or original entrance front: 2:5:2. Steps up to central entrance, semi-circular traceried fanlight over 2/3 glazed door. Moulded surround. Richly carved projecting timber hood with scrolled pediment and brackets. Single mullion and transom timber casements in moulded brick surrounds. Cornices over ground floor windows below prominent continuous plat band. Aprons to 1st floor windows which have pedimented architraves; segmental pediments to mid and outer bays of main range, central lugged architrave framed by pilasters with scrolled bases. Square 2nd floor windows, architraves with aprons to pediments below. Deep boxed eaves. Chamfered brick quoins to return and re-entrant angles of wings. Re-entrant walls of crosswings have blind windows. Pedimented dormers, 1:3:1. Tall stacks at junctions of main range and wings; panelled sides, bases and moulded caps. Double span roof to hall range. On front ridge to centre a large square wooden clock turret surmounted by an open octagonal bell chamber with a cupola and weathervane finial. Left return: asymmetrical 2:3. 3 bays towards front closely spaced. Bracketed hood over central ground floor French window with flanking blind openings. First floor: pedimented architraves, that to centre similar to centre front. 2 bays towards rear, wider spacing, articulated as at front. 3 dormers evenly spaced. Small capped stack to left of centre. Right return: least formal facade. 4 bays grouped towards centre. Casements of 2 to 6 lights. Stone arched head to basement opening. 1st and 2nd floor blind openings to outer bays. 1 dormer and 1 small capped stack. Rear or later entrance front asymmetrical 2:5:2. Irregularly fenestrated in main range to suit staircases. Steps up to central entrance. Moulded timber surround with consoles to pediment. Plain brick surrounds to cross glazed casements. Some floating cornices. Plat band, blocked at angles. Crosswings shallower than at front. Brick quoins at angles, not chamfered. Right wing openings all blind except 2nd floor, ground floor left blocked door. Half basement. Dormers, 1:5:1. 2 tall cross axial stacks at junctions with wings, panelled sides and moulded caps. Large stack in central valley. Interior: ground floor: rear hall, now reception, re-used Jacobean panelling. Front rooms: remodelled early C18. Hall has 2 Doric piers replacing original screen from passage. Original main staircase rises full 3 storeys. Open well. Richly carved square newels, baskets of fruit on top and drops. In place of balusters elaborate pierced foliage panels. Moulded handrail and string with bayleaf frieze. First floor landing: massive carved wood doorcases to principal rooms in which some linenfold panelling re-set and a late C18 chimney piece. Second floor: chapel, linenfold and Jacobean panelling, 2 pews, pulpit and reading desk. Lord's Prayer, 10 Commandments and Credo painted over fireplace. C17 heraldic glass in windows. Attic: long gallery with linenfold panelling. Secondary stair: ball finials to square newels, turned balusters, moulded handrail. L-shaped extension to right return towards rear. 1 storey. Flat arched heads and plain brick surrounds to similar windows. Hipped roof. Entrance gates, wrought iron, 1873, attached to N. Low wall from left end of garden front runs forward to steps down to terrace to left of house. Piers with stone caps, ball finials. (RCHM Typescript: Country Life 4-11 October 1919: Pevsner 1977).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.