You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164537  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 164537
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
  BISHOP BURTON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 24 October 2003
Date listed: 07 February 1968
Date of last amendment: 07 February 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BISHOP BURTONCHURCH LANESE 93 NE8/1Church of All Saints7.2.68II*

BISHOP BURTON CHURCH LANE SE 93 NE 8/1 Church of All Saints 7.2.68 II* Church. Early C13 west tower, early C13 nave and C14 aisles rebuilt c1821, chancel and south vestry in geometrical style by J L Pearson 1865. Ashlar, slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel with south vestry. West tower: chamfered plinth. South door of 2 pointed and chamfered orders, the inner on carved corbels under hoodmould. Chamfered imposts. Chamfered string between stages. Paired lancets under round arch to belfry. Low parapet with moulded coping. West wall: projecting carved head to bottom stage, lancet to second stage, similar belfry openings. North side is identical to the south side with the addition of a clock face to the second stage. Nave: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. Three 2-light pointed windows with Decorated tracery under hoodmoulds with face stops. Pointed south door of 2 orders with nook-shafts under hoodmould. Four 2-light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery, all under hoodmoulds with face stops, to clerestory. Low parapet. Similar fenestration to nave north side. Chancel: chamfered plinth, buttress with offset and gablet with blank tracery. 2 easternmost pointed windows of 2 lights with geometrical tracery: the west bay is taken up by the projecting vestry. Vestry south window: pointed, of 3 lights, with geometrical tracery including a transom. Pointed priests' door to east vestry wall with carved nook-shafts all under a continuous string which forms a sill band to the chancel windows. Pointed east window of 4 lights with geometrical tracery under hoodmould. North side: 3 pointed windows of 2 lights with geometrical tracery. Stone copings with ridge cross. Interior: nave west door of 2 pointed orders, the outer square, the inner with a continuous narrow chamfer, on chamfered imposts. Triangular hoodmould. North and south nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Pointed chancel arch of 2 moulded orders on nook-shafts with carved capitals and moulded bases. Rear arches of chancel windows rest on similar, smaller shafts. To south-east corner of the chancel is a C14 piscina: scalloped bowl with foliage and grinning face to sides under a cusped ogee arch with foliage sprigs to cusps. South west end of,nave: a small C12 carved figure, with long, hanging sleeves, inserted into south wall. C18 font: a small moulded basin on a polygonal baluster. Fragments of 2 earlier font basins, one octagonal, lie close by. Monuments: nave west end: black marble tablet with white lettering; a long inscription in Latin to Sir Tobias Hodson, died 1664. Alabaster chest tomb to Rachel Gee, died 1684: a recumbent figure in a winding sheet with a child close by on a slab: quatrefoils and an inscription to the base. Chancel: three brasses. To the north, a chalice brass to Peter Johnson, vicar, died 1460; a lady, died C15. South side: a brass to the Ellerker family: date erased, probably early C16. 2 figures with inscription over.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.