You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164575  

Print Page



©  Philip Hampel

IoE Number: 164575
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET (north side)
  ETTON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Philip Hampel
Date Photographed: 10 August 2000
Date listed: 07 February 1968
Date of last amendment: 07 February 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ETTONMAIN STREETSE 94 SE(north side)4/40Church of St Mary7.2.68

ETTON MAIN STREET SE 94 SE (north side) 4/40 Church of St Mary 7.2.68 II* Church. C12 west tower, (later raised), c1300 south aisle, remainder rebuilt in Romanesque style 1844-6. Ashlar, slate roofs. 2 stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry, south chapel, and shallow porch to priests' door. West tower:clasping pilaster buttresses. Single round-headed slit window to lower stage; 2 round-headed belfry openings beneath corbel table. Corbelled out parapet above. Round-headed west door of 3 orders on nook-shafts with scallop capitals. Inner order: medallions with floral ornament; central order: beakhead; outer order: stylized beakhead. All under a filleted hoodmould with mask stops in a slight projection under a corbelled-out roof. Nave: chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses. Single round-headed window to west, 2 paired round-headed lights with mid-wall shaft to east, each under a single round-headed chamfered arch. Heavily restored C12 south door to west orders on nook-shafts with scalloped capitals. Beakhead to inner order, chevrons to outer order, all under a filleted hoodmould. Similar fenestration to nave north wall. Chancel: round-headed window with cusped Y-tracery to east; round-headed priests' door, in projection, with nook- shafts and chevron ornament beneath a filleted hoodmould. Pointed east window of 4 lights with tracery in Perpendicular style underhoodmould with facestops. Interior: C12 round-headed tower arch of 4 orders on nook-shafts with scalloped capitals and moulded imposts. Inner order: double roll to soffit and mulberry motif; second order: chevrons; third order: abstract beakhead with medallions, faces, and a rabbit; outer order: chevrons. The west side of the tower arch has a single, square order. Over the arch is a royal coat of arms. South aisle of c1300: shallow bases to quatrefoil filleted piers, with quatrefoil abaci carrying pointed arches of 2 filleted orders. Hoodmould with carved faces to the south side. In the chancel is a fragment of a reclining effigy of Leonora Langdale which has 2 small heraldic shields. Double wall tablet to Mary Delgarno died 1693, Lucy Bachelor 1694, and Elizabeth Delgarno died 1724: all contained in a pilastered surround with a coat of arms beneath a broken pediment. Beneath is a plain wall tablet to Arthur Delgarno "IN SPEM BEATAE RESURRECTIONIS" Nave north wall: a blank quatrefoil with a central, heraldic shield. Inserted into the west wall of the south aisle are 3 figure sculptures of c1190, brought from the ruined church of Saint Peter, Holme-on-the-Wolds: one of Christ with a resurrection banner confronting a demon, the second of Saint Paul with a sword, the third of Saint Peter with a key.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.