© Mr Gareth Parry LRPS
HALTEMPRICE PRIORY FARM, WELL LANE (east off)
KIRK ELLA, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Mr Gareth Parry LRPS
28 September 1999
03 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
03 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WILLERBY WELL LANE
TA 03 SW
(east end, off)
7/46 Haltemprice Priory Farm
- II *
House. Late C15/early C16; right gable rebuilt late C17; left cross wing
added and building re-fenestrated late C18. Red brick, some moulded and
rubbed, with stone dressings; pantiled roof. 2 storeys, probably 4 bays
originally. 2-window front. Ground floor: to left a large 6-panel door in
4-centred moulded brick surround under an ornate panel, now obscured, below
moulded brick hood. Hoodmould to heraldic shield with latticed design
above. To the right are 2 blocked C18 windows. First floor: two 3-light
sliding sashes. Embedded in the brickwork are stone jambs indicating the
former presence of regularly spaced mullioned windows as part of the
original construction. Axial stack, tumbled-in brick to raised gables.
Late C18 extension to left with similar windows to ground and first floor.
Tumbled-in brick to raised gable, end stack. Rear elevation has stone
quoins to right corner of main range and attached C16 tower beyond to right.
Remains of 2-light original window to right return of main range with 4-
centred arched lights, incised spandrels and moulded surround. Single-light
windows with quoined jambs to tower. Interior has late C17 closed-string,
dogleg staircase with square newels, bulbous column-on-vase balusters and
moulded handrail. Original moulded beams and joist to first floor. Early
C18 panelled doors and kitchen corner cupboard. Disused and derelict at
time of resurvey. This building probably incorporates part of the buildings
of Haltemprice Priory. The curious position of the door suggests that it
may have extended further to the left. Interior not inspected.