You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164859  

Print Page



© Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS

IoE Number: 164859
Location: CHURCH OF ST DAVID, HIGH STREET (east off)
  AIRMYN, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS
Date Photographed: 08 September 2001
Date listed: 14 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 14 February 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

AIRMYNHIGH STREETSE 72 NW(east side, off)1/3Church of St David14.2.67

AIRMYN HIGH STREET SE 72 NW (east side, off) 1/3 Church of St David 14.2.67 GV II Parish church. Nave dated on tablet to 1676; alterations of 1858 included re-roofing, new bellcote and west porch; chancel and organ chamber of 1884. Red brick with ashlar dressings; rendered plinth to nave. Westmorland slate roof. 2-bay nave with west porch, vestry adjoining north side, single-bay chancel with organ chamber adjoining south side. Original moulded brick plinth to nave now largely obscured by concrete render; later plinth to vestry. Nave, south side: 3 windows with C19 wooden Y-tracery, blocked Tudor-arched door to right, C19 corbelled ashlar cornice; 2 north windows, re-opened in C19. West side has single lancets flanking porch, 2-course brick band at eaves level, projecting central section with carved ashlar tablet bearing date and arms of Smithsons of Stanwick, stone-coped gable with shaped kneelers, bellcote with pair of pointed bell openings and pierced quatrefoil beneath pointed arch and coped gable with pinnacle. Single-storey porch has south entrance with 2-fold Gothic-panelled door, 2- light Y-traceried west window beneath stone-coped gable. Vestry: similar door to west and window to north beneath stone-coped gable. All openings to nave, porch and vestry have Tudor arches and brick surrounds. Ashlar trefoiled lancet to chancel and organ chamber; re-set pointed 3-light ashlar traceried east window of 1857. Interior. Pointed chancel arch with roll- mouldings on twin-shafted responds with foliate capitals; open roofs to nave and chancel with trusses on moulded ashlar corbels. Monuments: white marble floor slab at east end of nave to Samuel and Betty Birt of c1773; wall tablets in nave to Judith Fisher of 1773, to Rev John Umpleby of c1839 with inscribed sarcophagus, to Sarah and Octavia Umpleby with tablet bearing miniature sarcophagus, to Peter Wells of 1845 with tablet bearing broken columns, to William Wells of 1854 with pilastered surround and moulded pediment; wall tablets in chancel to William Wells of c1825 with draped urn, to Louisa Anne Wells of 1848 with carved cornice and relief panel with dove. Stained glass to nave and chancel north and south windows by Powell Brothers of Leeds 1896-1902. Painted Royal Arms over west door. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1959, p 74. D Galloway, Airmyn in Days Gone By, Vol 2, 1985, pp 3-8.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.