You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164861  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 164861
Location: AIRMYN FIRST SCHOOL, HIGH STREET (north side)
  AIRMYN, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 10 April 2006
Date listed: 16 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

AIRMYNHIGH STREETSE 72 NW(north-west side)1/5Airmyn First SchoolGVII

AIRMYN HIGH STREET SE 72 NW (north-west side) 1/5 Airmyn First School GV II Sunday school, now school. 1834 for George Percy, Earl of Beverley, with additions and alterations of 1891 and C20 additions to rear. Brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. 1-shaped on plan: original schoolroom with C19 entrance and wing to right, and schoolroom extension to rear. Single storey, 3 sections. Schoolroom, gable-end to street, has triple pointed windows with ashlar heads and sills, and wooden Y-tracery, beneath ashlar tablet inscribed: SUNDAY SCHOOL Erected By the Right Honourable the EARL OF BEVERLEY 1834 coped gable with shaped kneelers. Low single-storey projecting wing to right has pointed window with ashlar head, sill and wooden Y-tracery, small chamfered rectangular window above, coped gable with shaped kneelers; similar pointed window to left return, circular window with glazing bars to right return, and bell turret to rear, adjoining schoolroom, with ashlar offsets, string course, and pointed chamfered opening beneath coped gable. Adjoining tripartite entrance section has central pointed doorway with 2- fold board doors with ornate wrought ironwork, beneath coped ashlar gable containing semicircular recessed panel inscribed "1891", flanked by small projecting wings with single pointed Y-traceried windows (that to right with lower mullion removed) and coped parapets. Left return of schoolroom has three 16-pane flush sashes to original section and one 6-pane casement to extension beneath segmental arches; dentilled brick eaves cornice. Built as a Sunday school for 120 pupils, by 1840 it had become a day-school. D Galloway, Airmyn in Days Gone By, Vol 1, 1984, pp 13-15; ibid, Vol 2, 1985, pp 16-17.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.