You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164862  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 164862
Location: CLOCK TOWER, HIGH STREET (west side)
  AIRMYN, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 10 April 2006
Date listed: 16 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

AIRMYNHIGH STREETSE 72 NW(west side)1/101Clock TowerGVII

AIRMYN HIGH STREET SE 72 NW (west side) 1/101 Clock Tower GV II Clock tower. 1866-8 by H J Lockwood of Bradford for George Percy, second Earl of Beverley. Banded yellow and pink sandstone, painted timber shafts to second stage, Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Square on plan, stands on riverbank at corner of main street. 3 stages. First stage: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets and gabled coping with kneeling angels holding shields. Entrance to east side has 3 stone steps to pointed moulded arch with shafted responds beneath elaborate crocketed gabled hoodmould with finial; 2-fold board doors with ornate wrought-iron strapwork. South side bears inscription: GEORGE EARL OF BEVERLEY 1865 Second stage: angle-shafts with foliate capitals; pair of pointed lighting slits to south and east sides, one to south blind, others glazed. Foliate corbel-table. Top stage has pairs of angle shafts with moulded capitals flanking large recessed pointed panels with moulded surrounds containing central circular openings, those to south and east with clockfaces, that to north with C20 window, that to west boarded-up; gables above have pierced quatrefoils and crocketed coping. 4-sided spire has decorative slates, wrought-iron finial and half-hipped lucarnes with shafted trefoiled openings and slatted louvres. Interior: ladder of built-in iron rungs provides access to top stage and spire; clock and chimes in working order. Built to commemorate the Earl becoming the Duke of Northumberland in 1865; started 1866 and completed 2 years later. D Galloway, Airmyn In Days Gone By, Vol 1, 1984, pp 12-13; ibid, Vol 2, 1985, pp 15-18.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.