You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164943  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 164943
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, SNAITH ROAD (north side)
  SNAITH AND COLWICK, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 12 April 2006
Date listed: 16 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SNAITH AND COWICKSNAITH ROADSE 62 SE(north side)East Cowick3/82Church of The Holy

SNAITH AND COWICK SNAITH ROAD SE 62 SE (north side) East Cowick 3/82 Church of The Holy Trinity GV II Parish church. 1853-4 by William Butterfield for William Henry Dawnay, seventh Viscount Downe. Built by Charles Ward of Lincoln. Repairs of 1910 to north arcade and nave walls probably included removal of north chimney and plastering of interior. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. 5-bay aisled nave with west tower, south porch and single-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Four 3-light trefoiled windows to south aisle, 3 similar windows to north. Nave has tripartite west end: projecting lower section carries partly-projecting central tower with deeply-recessed pointed 2-light traceried window beneath double-chamfered segmental-pointed arch, flanked by single narrow 2-light traceried windows and outer buttresses, the 3 window recesses having prominent sill string courses and sloping bases. Tower has flanking buttresses rising above nave roof line, sill string course and recessed 2-light plate-traceried belfry openings, and short 4-sided spire with wrought-iron weather-vane. Chancel: chamfered plinth and angle buttresses to east end, pointed 3-light traceried south window, sill string course and large pointed 3-light traceried east window beneath small circular opening and coped gable with cross finial. Porch: chamfered plinth, pointed double-chamfered outer arch with inner chamfer dying into jambs, pointed moulded inner arch, scissor-braced roof. Corbelled ashlar eaves cornice to nave and to slightly lower chancel; exposed rafter ends to aisles and porch. Steeply-pitched roofs throughout. Interior. Arcade (with narrower west bay) of pointed moulded arches of 3 orders with mouldings dying into chamfered square piers and responds. Pointed recess (former fireplace) to north aisle. West end has projecting tower section with chamfered ashlar plinth and twin buttresses flanking recessed central window beneath double segmental pointed arches; keeled ashlar sill string course to flanking windows. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch with corbelled inner order; tablet to Rev Cecil Sykes of 1898 set below north corbel in carved ashlar surround. Pointed fillet-moulded vestry door and trefoiled chamfered piscina to chancel. 8-bay nave roof with single side- purlins and arch-braced collars with trefoiled panels above; scissor-braced chancel roof, boarded above the sanctuary. Walls plastered to nave and chancel and whitewashed throughout. Large ashlar font with octagonal step, moulded circular base and bowl with blind arcading of cusped pointed arches on cylindrical piers; tall pointed wooden font cover with traceried panels, suspended from ornate wrought-iron bracket. Octagonal panelled oak pulpit with ashlar base and octagonal tester. Original oak altar rails with plain trefoiled panels. Red, yellow and black Minton tiles to floor, those to sanctuary with Downe crest and monogram. Inserted ornate carved oak reredos with figures of Christ and Apostles in relief; traceried panelling of 1910 to chancel. Mid C19 stained-glass east and west windows; late C19 - early C20 stained-glass south windows. Contemporary with the neighbouring vicarage and school (qv) and with similar groups at nearby Hensall (North Continued ..... Yorkshire) and Pollington (qv). Cowick Church is the largest of the 3, its west end probably modelled on Lindisfarne (Holy Island) Church, Northumberland. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 171. P Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971. J Killeen, A Short History of Cowick Hall, 1967, p 27-9. R Dixon and S Muthesius, Victorian Architecture, 1978, p 49 and p 208. Photographs in NMR.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.