You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164946  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 164946
Location: COWICK HALL, SNAITH ROAD (south off)
  SNAITH AND COLWICK, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 21 September 2005
Date listed: 23 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 April 1952
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SNAITH AND COWICKSNAITH ROADSE 62 SE(south side, off)East Cowick3/85Cowick Hall

SNAITH AND COWICK SNAITH ROAD SE 62 SE (south side, off) East Cowick 3/85 Cowick Hall 23.4.52 GV Country house, now offices. 1660-90 for Sir John Dawnay, first Viscount Downe; alterations of 1752-60 by James Paine for third Viscount, Henry Pleydell Dawnay, included internal remodelling, rebuilding south entrance and re-setting roof balustrade; alterations of 1790s and 1804-11 for John Dawnay, 5th Viscount and Baron of Cowick, included west staircase and internal remodelling by Joseph Bonomi, and addition of external south gallery; alterations of 1869-80 for Henry and Benjamin Shaw included internal remodelling, new openings to east and west sides, alteration of original flat roof to double-span; renovations and minor alterations of 1956 and later by Croda International PLC. Magnesian limestone ashlar and brick: ashlar to north front, rendered to north pediment, south front and east and west sides. Westmorland slates to outer roof slopes, Welsh slates to inner slopes. Wrought-iron balustrades to external staircases. Plan (largely dating from 1870s remodelling): double-pile, with cruciform hall-corridor, forming 4-room central entrance-hall north and south fronts, with staircases to sides. North and south fronts: 2 storeys with basement and attic, 4:1:4 bays. Principal north front: rusticated basement supporting giant order of Roman Ionic pilasters. Perron with flight of 11 stone steps, outer wrought- iron balustrade of tapered octagonal column-on-vase balusters between square piers with C20 ball finials, and inner stone balustrade with bulbous balusters and inner piers carrying cast-iron lamps. Tripartite Ionic porch, with 2-fold 6-panel door (all panels glazed) and blind side-panels in pilastered surround with plain entablature and central projecting columned porch with pediment, all beneath a blind elliptical arch of 1752-60 with impost band and archivolt. Side bays have 6-pane basement sashes in reveals with keyed rusticated flat arches, and 12-pane ground-floor sashes in architraves with balustraded aprons, entablatures with pulvinated friezes, moulded cornices and hoods on consoles, those to bays 2, 4, 6 and 8 with segmental pediments. Moulded first-floor sill string course. 12-pane first-floor sashes in architraves, those to bays 2, 4, 6 and 8 with entablatures; central window with entablature, consoles and segmental pediment similar to ground floor. Deep eaves cornice supported on pairs of large acanthus brackets above each pilaster, pediment to 3 central bays with giant carved and painted Dawnay achievement with quartered arms in cartouche surmounted by coronet, supported by lions rampant and with motto TIMET PUDOREM below. Ashlar balustraded parapet. Hipped roof with 4 dormers containing 6-pane sashes in architraves and shouldered surrounds with moulded cornice and pediment. Pair of rendered stacks with band, dentilled cornices and blocking courses; similar stacks to side elevations. South front: central bay breaks forward, pedestals to basement supporting giant order of Doric pilasters with flush ashlar bands at mid ground-floor level. Basement: 6-pane sashes, chamfered ground-floor string course. Flight of 12 steps to external ashlar gallery to 3 central bays supported on plain short Greek Doric columns, with Continued .... Cowick Hall Continued ... wrought-iron balustrade of scrolled panels with thistle ornament, and cast- iron columned piers to staircase with lamps. Ground floor: central recessed 2-fold glazed doors with late C19 stained-glass overlight in architrave with pediment on consoles; 12-pane sashes in architraves with sill string course and entablatures with pulvinated friezes and pediments to alternate bays; French windows to fourth bay. 12-pane first-floor sashes in architraves, that to centre in eared and shouldered architrave with scrolled acanthus consoles, cornice and hood. Similar eaves cornice to north front. 5 pedimented dormers with glazing bars, 4 similar stacks. West elevation has similar giant Doric pilasters, ground-floor string course, stone staircase with wrought-iron balustrade of scrolled panels with thistle ornament to late C19 round-headed entrance to third bay flanked by round- arched side lights in architraves; similar tripartite round-headed first- floor window above with pilastered surround; 12-pane ground- and first-floor to second bay in ashlar architraves. East elevation has pair of giant Doric pilasters to right, similar stone staircase with re-set wrought-iron balustrade to late C19 twin round-headed entrance with side light; twin round-headed first-floor sashes above. Interior. 1870s entrance hall and corridor have Corinthian angle pilasters; south hall and west corridor contain 2 good plaster relief tablets and 14 roundels with classical scenes, attributed to John Flaxman; round-arched entrance to south-west library (perhaps original C17 or C18) with panelled reveal, round-arched pilastered doorway to south-east room; fine flying west staircase (re-set in 1870s) by Bonomi, has moulded ramped handrail, wrought-iron lattice-work balustrade with scrolls, geometric panels and Greek key frieze, and later wrought-iron suspension bar to landing with thistle ornament; flying east staircase of 1870s with turned balusters, perhaps late C17 re-used. South-west library, partly remodelled in C19 (probably by Bonomi), with fitted desks and bookcases with wrought-iron lattice grilles to doors, incorporates C18 ornate carved skirting, dado rail, moulded panelled window reveals and doors in architraves, moulded plaster cornices. Other C18 details include: dentilled cornice to north-west room; carved skirting, dado rail and cornice (concealed by suspended ceiling) to south-east room; on first floor: carved window surrounds and cornices to central north and west rooms, carved skirting and dado rail to east rooms. C19 cornices to halls and other main rooms, those to ground-floor central rooms particularly ornate, with foliate ceiling roses. Panelled window reveals and 6-panel doors thoughout, mahogany doors to main rooms in re-set C18 moulded architraves, re-set C18 doors with moulded panels elsewhere. Attic retains fragments of former servants rooms with plain moulded cornice. Basement has tunnel-vaulted chambers and 4-bay quadripartite vault to north-west with cylindrical ashlar pier; cellars to north, beneath north terrace, have tunnel vaults and 6-bay quadripartite vault on square brick piers. The main fronts of Cowick Hall are among the most accomplished C17 country house designs in the country. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1959, p 171. J Killeen, A Short History of Cowick Hall, 1967, 46 pp. Photographs in NMR.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.