You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 164953  

Print Page

© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 164953
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 21 September 2005
Date listed: 14 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 14 February 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SNAITH AND COWICKSNAITH ROADSE 62 SEEast Cowick3/92Turn Bridge14.2.67

SNAITH AND COWICK SNAITH ROAD SE 62 SE East Cowick 3/92 Turn Bridge 14.2.67 GV II Bridge. C18. Tooled sandstone ashlar with some rock-faced ashlar dressings. Triple-arched bridge with abutments splayed out to roadway entrances. 3 bays, central bay breaks forward. Rock-faced ashlar plinth with stepped-in upper course of smooth-faced ashlar. Central keyed rusticated round arch, single side arches within plinth, with rock-faced ashlar voussoirs. Band at original road level, coped parapet between cylindrical piers with square bases, raised band and domed caps. Central tunnel vault has chamfered rustication. Lower sections of bridge largely obscured by soil (side arches only visible to north); roadway raised to either side. Spans the Old River Don, now a small stream. This branch of the Don was improved by Cornelius Vermuyden in the 1620s, and in further improvements of 1726 this section was by-passed by a new cut to the south- east.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.