You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165092  

Print Page



© Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS

IoE Number: 165092
Location: SYPHON CARRYING HATFIELD WASTE DRAIN BELOW NORTH LEVEL ENGINE DRAIN APPROXIMATELY 580 METRES EAST OF A 18 A 161 ROAD JUNCTION, A 18 (south side)
  CROWLE, NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS
Date Photographed: 27 October 1999
Date listed: 10 September 1987
Date of last amendment: 10 September 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 71 SE CROWLE A 18 SE 7880 1028 (south side) 3/37 Syphon carrying Hatfield Waste Drain below North Level Engine Drain approximately 580 metres east of A 18 - A 161 road junction GV II Drain syphon. Probably between 1795-1813. Revetment walls probably later C19. Tooled ashlar facing and parapet, brick and ashlar tunnels and revetment walls. Approximately 22 metres long north-south. North and south sides both have 3 segmental-headed tunnel entrances with rusticated voussoirs flanking pointed cutwaters; band and coped parapet carrying C20 railings above. The tunnels slope sharply down below the waterline. Adjoining stone-coped revetment walls to the lower drain flank each side. Hatfield Waste Drain (the southern of the Double Rivers) passes under North Level Engine Drain because it is obstructed by the River Torne. Although drains were cut here by Cornelius Vermuyden in the mid C17, no constructions of that period are visible, and it is likely that the syphon was part of late C18 - early C19 improvements, perhaps those made c1795 by Samuel Foster, or c1813 by Thackray, following John Rennie's proposals. Similar to the smaller syphon at Sandtoft, Belton parish (qv). MHAD "How the Drains Came", Part 2, Appleby Frodingham News, Vol 15, No 4, 1962, pp 28-31.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.