You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165188  

Print Page



© Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS

IoE Number: 165188
Location: SYPHON CARRYING SOUTH LEVEL ENGINE DRAIN UNDER THE RIVER TORNE APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF PILFREY FARM, A 18
  KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE, NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 September 1999
Date listed: 10 September 1987
Date of last amendment: 10 September 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 80 NW KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE A 18 SE 8095 0990 Pilfrey 8/124 Syphon carrying South Level Engine Drain under the River Torne approximately 200 metres south-east of Pilfrey Farm - II Drain syphon. c1813 by Thackray. Tooled ashlar facing and parapet. Brick tunnels. Approximately 50 metres long from north to south. North and south sides have 3 segmental-headed tunnel entrances flanking a pair of rounded cutwaters, with a band and coped parapet between rectangular end piers. The tunnels slope sharply down below the waterline. Carries the combined waters of South Level Engine Drain and Folly Drain below the former course of the River Torne (now disused) and the A18 road. The River Torne was cut between 1629-39 by Cornelius Vermuyden; South Level Engine Drain [prior to 1858 known as the New Idle River] was cut as part of the improvements made by Samuel Foster 1795 or shortly after. The syphon appears to be part of further improvements made by Thackray in or after 1813, following John Rennies proposals. The upper drain (River Torne) has since been diverted and the original course now fallen into disuse. Other drain syphons survive at Sandtoft, Belton parish (qv), and south of the A18, Crowle parish (qv). G Dunston, The Rivers of Axholme, (no date), p 49; MHAD "How the Drains Came", pt 11, Appleby-Frodingham News, vol 15, No 4, 1962, pp 29-30; V Cory, Hatfield and Axholme an Historical Review, 1986, p 84.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.