You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165195  

Print Page



© Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS

IoE Number: 165195
Location: KEADBY LOCK, TRENTSIDE (east side)
  KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE, NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 September 1999
Date listed: 10 September 1987
Date of last amendment: 10 September 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 81 SWKEADBY WITH ALTHORPETRENTSIDE(east side)Keadby4/131Keadby Lock

SE 81 SW KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE TRENTSIDE (east side) Keadby 4/131 Keadby Lock GV II Tidal canal lock and abutments for former swing bridge. 1793-1802 for the Stainforth and Keadby Canal; new lock gates and sills fitted 1932; concrete platform, lock-keeper's hut and sheet steel pilings to river front of 1970s- 80s. Ashlar-faced lock basin and bridge abutments. Timber lock gates with iron railings. Aligned east-west, with River Trent to east. Single lock basin with 2 alternating pairs of gates; the outer flood gates nearly 8 metres high. Lock wall has depth gauge in Roman numerals inscribed on north side beside outer flood gates, and inscription to centre of north side recording fitting of new gates and sills in August 1932. To west of lock are abutments for former swing road bridge with curved recessed retaining walls to north and south, and coped stone wall to southern entrance with wooden and iron barred gate. C20 swing road bridge to west, and brick walls around lock are not included in the listing. The Stainforth and Keadby Canal, built to by-pass the lower reaches of the River Don, was purchased by the South Yorkshire Railway Co which opened a line along the north canal bank in 1859. Its terminus beside Keadby Lock was superceded in 1864 when the line was diverted to Keady Bridge a mile to the south.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.