You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165371  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 165371
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF BEVERLEY,
  WRESSLE, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 26 January 2001
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WRESSLESE 73 SW5/143Church of St John ofBeverley16.12.66

WRESSLE SE 73 SW 5/143 Church of St John of Beverley 16.12.66 - II Church. 1799 with alterations of 1873. Brick in English garden wall bond, ashlar plinth and dressings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave, with south porch and north vestry, long single-bay chancel. 3-stage tower with ashlar bands. Rectangular slit windows to second stage. Round- headed belfry openings with ashlar sill band to third stage. Ashlar cornice and embattled parapets. There is an ashlar urinal in the angle of the tower and the south side of the nave. Nave: porch with C19 pointed doorway and hipped roof to south; vestry with pair of square-headed windows to north. Otherwise 2-light pointed Gothic windows, inserted in 1873. Door and windows with returned hoodmoulds. East end: 2-light Gothick window. Nave roof with stone coped gable to west, hipped to east. Chancel roof hipped to east. Interior: very plain. Plaque above door reads: This church was built on the Site of the Ancient Parish Church of Wressell in the 39th Year of the Reign of KING GEORGE the 3rd Anno Domini 1799. The Right Honb1 GEORGE O'BRIEN EARL OF EGREMONT Lord of the Manor. JOHN BACON SAWREY MORRITT ESQR Impropriator. The REVD GEORGE ION Vicar. Richard Waterworth of Wressell) Church Wardens James Craven of Newsham ) Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1972.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.