You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165381  

Print Page



© Mr Trevor Sowray

IoE Number: 165381
Location: THE HALL INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS, HIGH STREET (west side)
  EASTOFT, NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Trevor Sowray
Date Photographed: 09 July 2002
Date listed: 30 September 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 September 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 81 NWEASTOFTHIGH STREET(west side)4/1The Hall includingattached screen walls and

SE 81 NW EASTOFT HIGH STREET (west side) 4/1 The Hall including attached screen walls and outbuildings - II House, including attached screen walls and outbuildings. Dated 1789, with early C19 alterations, including remodelling of east front,addition to north-west, outhouses and screen wall; alterations of c1905. Red-brown brick in Flemish bond, rendered to north side. Stone dressings. Slate roof. Approximately rectangular on plan: C18 L-shaped section, originally with 2-room, central entrance-hall south front (now 2 rooms), and 2-room wing to rear right; early C19 alteration of rear wing to 2-room, central entrance-hall east front, with screen wall and outhouses adjoining to right, and addition in north-west angle incorporating former gardener's cottage. 2 storeys. Plinth. East front of 4 slightly irregular bays. Entrance has flight of 4 stone steps with moulded nosings to Tuscan doorcase with attached columns carrying entablature with pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice and hood; 6-panel door (4 fielded panels over 2 flush beaded panels) beneath pulvinated lintel and overlight incorporating central round light, in panelled soffit and reveal. Single early C20 canted bay windows to either side (that to right wider) with casements to front and single lights to sides with small panes over plain glass, beneath moulded cornice and flat hood. First floor: early C20 sashes with similar style of glazing to bay windows, in original C19 flush wooden architraves with sills beneath channelled and keyed cambered wedge lintels. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof. Ridge stack to left of centre, right end stack with rebuilt upper section. Stone-coped screen wall set back to right, ramped down to twin gables of outhouses to far right, contains single square-headed and round-headed entrances. South front, 3 bays, symmetrical: blocked central entrance beneath cambered wedge lintel with datestone above inscribed 1789 (partly obscured by creeper), ground- and first-floor windows with C20 sashes similar to those of east front, in original flush wooden architraves with sills beneath keyed cambered wedge lintels. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof. C19 ridge stack, side wall stack to left. West side has straight joint, early C19 6-fielded-panel door beneath overlight with margin lights, varied fenestration, including tripartite ground-floor sash with glazing bars, first-floor 24-pane sash stair window, early C20 segmental bowed oriel window; bell in wooden housing to first floor right. Outhouses to north include former twin privy section with oculus to north and coped parapets to north and south ramped up to each side. Interior. Entrance hall has moulded cornice, round-arched openings to service passage and stairhall with panelled soffits. Open-well staircase with wreathed handrail and slender, slightly bulbed column-on-vase balusters, profiled cheek-pieces. Main ground-floor rooms have moulded plaster cornices; marble chimney-pieces to south rooms. Fielded-panel doors in architraves with pulvinated panels and roundel ornament to the corners. First floor not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.