You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165384  

Print Page



© Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS

IoE Number: 165384
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH STREET (west side)
  EASTOFT, NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 August 1999
Date listed: 14 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 14 February 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 81 NW EASTOFTHIGH STREET(west side)4/4Church of St Bartholomew14.2.67

SE 81 NW EASTOFT HIGH STREET (west side) 4/4 Church of St Bartholomew 14.2.67 GV II Parish church. 1855 by J L Pearson. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and eastern bellcote, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining to north. Chamfered plinth, quoins, sill string course throughout. Aisles have angle buttresses, buttresses between bays with offsets, twin lancets to north and south sides, single east and west lancets. West end has buttresses flanking nave with 3 lancets beneath foiled wheel window in roll-moulded surround, with shafted spokes and central quatrefoil. Large bellcote straddles nave east gable, with moulded offsets, twin pointed chamfered bell openings with single segmental-pointed bell opening above, coped gable with wrought-iron cross finial. Porch: pointed double-chamfered arch on shafted responds with moulded capitals and bases; nailhead-moulded hoodmould with foliate stops. Stone-coped gable with cross finial. Pointed inner arch of 2 orders with filleted inner order and dogtooth-moulded outer order on shafted responds with nailhead mouldings to capitals and bases; hoodmould with foliate stops. Open scissor-braced roof with projecting carved ends to the sole-pieces. Chancel has angle buttresses, 3 lancets to south, single lancet to north, 3 stepped east lancets. Gabled vestry has small pointed 2-light transomed north window with trefoiled lights below pierced quatrefoil with carved foliate foils; tall stack with offsets, chamfered shaft and gableted cap. Corbelled eaves cornice. Steeply-pitched roofs: nave and aisles under continuous roof. Exposed rafter ends, stone-coped gables with carved stone cross finials, crested ridge tiles throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double- chamfered arches on quatrefoiled piers and responds with moulded capitals and water-holding bases on square pedestals. Filleted and roll-moulded reveal and shafted spokes to west wheel window. Keeled segmental-pointed reveal to south door. Pointed chancel arch of 2 orders with chamfered outer order, filleted inner order and keeled moulding to soffit, on responds with outer chamfer and shafted inner order with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel has wide chamfered segmental-pointed arch to north side, sill string course. North and south lancets have pointed chamfered arches on moulded corbels with nailhead and foliate mouldings, the south-east window also with a seat below flanked by trefoiled chamfered arches in the angles of the splayed reveal. East lancets have flanking shafts with rings and capitals with nailhead moulding, arches and jambs with dogtooth moulding, hoodmoulds with carved stops. Boarded trussed rafter roofs throughout: 3-part roofs to aisles, 7-part roofs to nave and chancel, with scissor braces, collars and carved ends to the sole-pieces. Ornate octagonal carved stone pulpit with blind arcading and quatrefoil frieze with dogtooth moulding. Carved font with trefoiled panels and foliate motifs to bowl, and clustered filleted shaft with moulded base. Original pattern-work stained glass of 1855 to chancel, east aisle windows and west windows, with small Crucifixion to central east window. Carved wood altar rails with trefoiled balustrade. 5-bay chancel screen with blind-traceried lower panels and trefoiled upper panels. Original pews, choir stalls with carved bench ends. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 189.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.