You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 165402  

Print Page

© Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS

IoE Number: 165402
Photographer: Mrs Janet Roworth LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 September 1999
Date listed: 01 March 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 March 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 81 NW LUDDINGTON ANDCHURCH LANEHALDENBY(east end)Luddington4/20Church of St Oswald(formerly listed under

SE 81 NW LUDDINGTON AND CHURCH LANE HALDENBY (east end) Luddington 4/20 Church of St Oswald (formerly listed under 1.3.67 Luddington Parish) - II Parish church. 1855. Tooled sandstone ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. West tower with projecting octagonal stair turret to south-west angle, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining to north. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, moulded string courses between stages. First stage has single lancets with hoodmoulds to south and west sides, slit lights to stair turret. Second stage has oculi to north, west and south sides. Third stage has angle pilaster buttresses, pointed 2- light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced quatrefoils over lancets, hoodmoulds; corbel table, moulded string course. Octagonal broach spire with pierced quatrefoils to alternate sides, carved finial. Aisles have buttresses to each end, sill string course, single and twin lancets to north and south sides, single lancets to east and west sides. Porch has buttresses flanking pointed chamfered arch with hoodmould beneath coped gable. Small single lancets to sides. Pointed chamfered inner arch. Chancel: diagonal buttresses, 3 lancets to south, single lancet to north, stepped triple east lancets with pierced oval light above. Twin east lancets to vestry. Exposed rafter ends, coped gables with shaped kneelers throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Narrow segmental-pointed chamfered tower arch with inner pointed chamfered order dying into chamfered jambs. Shouldered chamfered doorway to tower staircase. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer chamfer and inner order on short wall shafts with moulded capitals and bases terminating in carved knotted tails. Pointed chamfered door to vestry with broach stops. Trussed rafter nave and chancel roofs. Monuments in chancel: good Rococco white marble wall tablet to Worsop family of 1758 with inscribed oval medallion supported by scrolls with urns and floral drops, small medallion above with faded painted arms, and plain base supported by winged cherub's head; plain segmental-headed wall tablet to Elizabeth Lister of 1729; pedimented wall tablet to Gee family of Haldenby Park of 1852 by Skelton of York; wall tablet to Rev James Stovin Lister of 1844 by Fisher of York, with carved dove and arms. Wall tablet in nave to Captain Augustus Webb of 1854 by Waudby of York, recording death from wounds received in Charge of Light Brigade at Balaclava. Wall tablet in south aisle to John Hopkinson of 1820, with damaged urn on segmental-headed base. C19 octagonal ashlar pulpit; ashlar font with winged angels and ballflower frieze to bowl, octagonal shaft with moulded base. C19 stained glass, including east and south-east windows of 1855-6 by Gibbs of London. Stands in an imposing isolated position on a mound in the flat marshlands midway between Garthorpe and Luddington. The medieval church which it superceded was illustrated by C Nattes in 1794 (Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library) and by G Fairbairn in the mid C19 (copy of print hanging in north aisle). The late C12 font now in the grounds of Waterton Hall, Garthorpe and Fockerby parish (qv) may have come from Luddington Church. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 308.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.