You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166545  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 166545
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SOUTH CHURCH SIDE (north side)
  EASINGTON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Terry Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 21 July 2006
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EASINGTONSOUTH CHURCH SIDETA 31 NE(north side)12/4Church of All Saints16-12-66

EASINGTON SOUTH CHURCH SIDE TA 31 NE (north side) 12/4 Church of All Saints 16-12-66 GV I Parish church. C12 nave, late C12 - early C13 north arcade and aisle, later C13 south arcade and aisle, C14 tower, late C14 clerestory; C15-C16 chancel, north aisle windows, east section of south aisle, upper stages of tower. Porch rebuilt c1720 and repaired in 1811. Restorations to chancel in 1863, and to nave and aisles in 1890; renovations underway at time of resurvey. Random cobbles to south aisle, chancel, nave east end, north aisle parapet and east end; cobbles and brick to south porch; limestone and sandstone ashlar to tower, limestone ashlar to north aisle and nave clerestory; limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Pantile roof to south porch, lead roofs to remainder. West tower, 3-bay nave with 3-bay north aisle, 4-bay south aisle with south porch, 3-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, full-height diagonal buttresses with offsets, moulded string courses between stages. First stage: pointed 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, moulded sill string course and hoodmould returned as string course. Second stage: small round-headed single-light trefoiled windows to south and west, line of earlier nave roof to east side. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. North aisle: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with moulded angles; C12-C13 round-arched door of 3 shafted orders (outer pairs of shafts missing) with nailhead moulding to inner capitals, and nailhead, lozenge, keeled and roll mouldings to arch; square-headed, 2-light trefoiled windows with incised spandrels; corbelled string course, coped parapet. South aisle: plinth, angle buttresses; restored C13 pointed 2-light Y-traceried window, C15-C16 square-headed cinquefoiled window with incised spandrels, C13 pointed 3-light window with intersecting tracery; pointed single-light rounded-trefoil west window, blocked round-headed west door with brick surround. Nave clerestory: pointed 2-light traceried windows, moulded string courses, coped embattled parapets. Chancel: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, buttresses between bays; south side has pair of square-headed 3- light cinquefoiled windows, similar window beneath triangular head, restored pointed moulded door with hoodmould; north side has similar square-headed 3- light and 5-light windows, blocked door to rebuilt central bay flanked by cobble buttresses; large pointed 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. South porch: plinth, round-headed outer arch with 2- course brick imposts, brick-coped gable with ashlar sundial dated 1811 and inscribed with names of churchwardens. Pointed moulded inner arch with hoodmould and weathered stops. Interior. 3-bay north arcade of pointed arches of 2 plain orders (with traces of painted chevrons to west bay) on cylindrical piers with plain moulded capitals and bases, the west pier and east respond with cross-shaped abaci and pedestals. 4-bay south arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on central quatrefoil pier flanked by cylindrical piers and foiled responds, with plain moulded capitals and bases; the east pier with medieval graffiti drawing of a ship. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch on chamfered responds with plain moulded bases and capitals with carved leaves and grotesque in angles of chamfers. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on chamfered responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Pointed door to pulpit at east end of north arcade (perhaps originally to rood loft) with C19 moulded plaster surround, hoodmould and foliate stops. South aisle has square aumbry and moulded trefoiled piscina with incised spandrels, projecting bowl and carved basin; pointed chamfered arch reveals to C13 windows. Chancel has C12 pillar piscina (discovered in 1863 renovations) on 4 clustered shafts with a moulded cushion capital and base; small square-headed wave-moulded north door with surround bearing carved paterae. Monuments in chancel: C18 floorslabs, pair of marble wall tablets with fluted pilasters and coffins on obelisk bases, one to Pattinson family of c1766, the other a copy of 1808 to Robert Pattinson. Good marble wall monument in south aisle to John and Joan Overton of 1651: large base with carved scrolled apron, moulded cornice and open segmental pediment with arms in cartouche, supporting inscribed tablet with verse, flanked by Corinthian columns carrying segmental entablature and pediment surmounted by urns and arms in cartouche. C13 incised graveslabs reused as lintels and jambs to 2 north aisle windows. Mutilated mensa slab, reused as gravestone, in north aisle. C14 octagonal font with plain moulded bowl. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 220; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 30; church guide.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.