You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166553  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 166553
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, NORTHSIDE (south side)
  HALSHAM, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 27 February 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOLLYMNORTHSIDETA 32 NW(south side)4/12Church of St NicholasGVII

HOLLYM NORTHSIDE TA 32 NW (south side) 4/12 Church of St Nicholas GV II Parish church. Tower of 1814 by William Hutchinson, remainder of 1884 by James Demaine. Grey brick to tower, yellow brick to nave with ashlar and red brick dressings. Westmorland slate roof. West tower with west door, 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining south side. Chamfered ashlar-capped plinth. 3-stage tower: 2 steps to round-arched entrance with double board door and radial fanlight in round-arched recessed panel with ashlar keystone inscribed "BUILT", ashlar string course; blank second stage, 1814 2-course brick band; round-arched belfry openings with wooden louvres and applied Y-tracery; stepped and dentilled brick cornice, coped parapet, plain ashlar angle pinnacles. Nave and chancel: buttresses with tumbled-in brick to offsets, triple round-headed windows to nave, single similar windows to chancel, stepped triple east window; twin north window to vestry. Ashlar sills, flush red brick sill and impost bands, hoods above windows, and stepped and cogged eaves cornice. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers. Crested ridge tiles. Ornate chimney to vestry. Interior. Nave open to chancel, with round chancel arch carried on pairs of short corbelled wall shafts. Waggon roof to chancel; ceiled hammer-beam roof to nave, of rounded-trefoil section. Polychrome tiles to chancel floor. Monuments in chancel: pair of shaped wall tablets, each with carved border, foliate drop, and urn, one to Rev Peter Atkinson of 1779, the other an inferior copy of 1816 to Rev Robert Barker; tablet to Rev Charles Hague of 1864 with cornice and pediment with acroteria. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 254; Victoria County History: York East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 46.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.