You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166559  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 166559
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, SCHOOL LANE (north off)
  HOLMPTON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Terry Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 11 August 2002
Date listed: 27 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 27 February 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOLMPTONSCHOOL LANETA 32 SE(north side, off)8/18Church of St NicholasGVII

HOLMPTON SCHOOL LANE TA 32 SE (north side, off) 8/18 Church of St Nicholas GV II Parish church. 1874, encasing earlier shell to nave and chancel. Repaired 1901. Cobbles encased in yellow brick with red brick and ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. West tower with west door, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel with 2-bay vestry adjoining north side. Chamfered brick plinth. 4-stage tower has recessed double doors in pointed chamfered arch with ashlar hoodmould, north and south lancets to first stage; west lancet to second stage, lancets with wooden louvres and blind Y-traceried panels to belfry, blind north and south lancets and west clockface to top stage; 2-course brick band, stone-coped embattled parapet. Twin lancets to nave; single lancet to chancel, stepped triple east lancet with pierced trefoil above. Pointed door, lancets to vestry. Ashlar hoodmoulds, flush red brick sill and impost bands throughout; flush red brick eaves band to nave and chancel. Stone-coped gables with shaped brick kneelers. Interior. Double-chamfered chancel arch with corbelled responds; carved ashlar reredos, cast-iron altar rails. Oval marble wall-tablet to Elizabeth Nockalls of 1767 with moulded surround, scrolled foliate base and urn above. Painted commandment boards. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972. Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 15, 1982, p 55.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.