You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166561  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 166561
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  KEYINGHAM, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 05 November 2003
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KEYINGHAMCHURCH LANE5266TA 22 NW(east side)2/20Church of St Nicholas

KEYINGHAM CHURCH LANE 5266 TA 22 NW (east side) 2/20 Church of St Nicholas 16-12-66 GV I Parish church. C12-C13 nave; late C13 nave arcades, chancel and tower (the latter partly rebuilt in late C14 - early C15); C14 chapel, C15 porch and clerestory. Chancel restored in 1885 by Ecclesiastical Commissioners; restorations of 1888-93 by F S Brodrick included re-roofing, re-seating. North aisle restored 1914. Spire removed and parapet rebuilt in 1969. Random cobbles to nave, south aisle, west wall of north aisle and sides of porch; limestone ashlar to tower, north aisle, south chapel and porch front; pebbledashed chancel; red brick clerestory with ashlar parapet. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and north door, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chapel of St Michael adjoining to south. 4-stage tower: plinth, angle buttresses with offsets to first 3 stages, moulded string courses between stages. First stage: small blocked pointed hollow-chamfered north door. Second stage: pointed west window with restored Y-tracery, original hoodmould and head stops. Plain third stage with line of former nave gable to east. Pointed belfry openings with remains of former Y-tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops, C20 wooden louvres. Coped parapet. Nave: plinth, single buttresses to west end with former roofline visible above. North aisle: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays; pointed moulded door, pointed 3-light north and east windows with Perpendicular tracery, partly restored to north. South aisle: chamfered plinth, single west buttress, square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled windows with moulded reveals and restored mullions; moulded string course, coped parapet. Clerestory: partly-restored square-headed 2-light cinquefoiled windows, moulded string course, coped ashlar parapet (repaired with brick to north-east). Chancel: chamfered plinth to south, angle buttresses, quoins; 2 pointed Y-traceried windows with restored mullions, and single small square-headed 2-light trefoiled window to north; 2 similar square-headed 2-light windows and a square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled window with restored mullions to south; pointed 5-light east window with double-chamfered reveal, restored moulded intersecting tracery, original hoodmould and headstops; re-set carved heads above; C19 string course, coped parapet. South chapel: moulded plinth, buttresses with gabled coping, one to south incorporating carved gargoyle; restored moulded sill string course, square-headed 2-light rounded-trefoiled south windows with double-chamfered reveals and partly-restored moulded mullions, similar 3-light east window with plain mullions; graveslab of 1825 attached to east wall over blocked entrance. Porch: moulded plinth, pointed moulded outer arch with square ashlar tablet above bearing shield in quatrefoil, moulded string course, coped parapet; pointed hollow-chamfered inner arch. Interior. Small segmental-headed tower door with pointed Y-traceried window above in deeply-splayed reveal. Pointed double-chamfered nave arcades on quatrefoiled piers with plain moulded capitals and square bases, the later north piers more slender. Tall pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order dying into chamfered jambs, the north side cutting a small round-arched recess, perhaps a C12 entrance to rood-loft. Chancel: 2-bay south arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches with continuous chamfers to central pier, chamfers dying into responds; blocked segmental-headed door and section of former pointed 2-light window to north wall; trefoiled piscina with mutilated bowl. South aisle has pointed double-chamfered arch to chapel. Chapel: image bracket and blocked door to east, C19 piscina. C19 roofs throughout: 4-bay nave roof has cranked tie-beams with king and queen posts, pierced trefoiled panels and carved pendants, and corbelled wall posts with arch braces and carved spandrels. Monuments: black marble floor slab in chancel to John Angell of 1647 with Latin inscription and incised arms in cartouche; marble bracket with carved apron in chancel for marble wall tablet re-set in north aisle to the same John Angell, of 1647, with Latin inscription in shouldered and eared architrave, foliate ornament, and open segmental pediment carrying carved and painted achievement in cartouche; marble wall tablets in south aisle to Edward Ombler of 1802 with fluted pilasters and draped urn, and to Edward Ombler of 1825 with carved pediment and arms. Good C13 font with large cylindrical bowl bearing arcading of pointed Y-traceried trefoiled arches. South aisle contains re- set carved wooden roof corbels, probably C15, with faces, foliage, fleur-de- lys etc. C16-C17 wrought-iron hour-glass stand beside pulpit with hour glass in wooden holder. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 291. Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 63-4.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.