You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166571  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 166571
Location: CHURCH OF ST WILFRED, SUNK ISLAND ROAD (west side)
  OTTRINGHAM, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OTTRINGHAMSUNK ISLAND ROADTA 22 SE(west side)6/30Church of St Wilfrid16-12-66

OTTRINGHAM SUNK ISLAND ROAD TA 22 SE (west side) 6/30 Church of St Wilfrid 16-12-66 GV I Parish church. C12 sections to nave and chancel, C13 arcades; early C14 tower, spire, south aisle, south porch and rebuilding to chancel; C15 north aisle, clerestory, south chapel. C17-C18 repairs to south chapel, spire repaired 1810; chancel re-roofed 1824, remainder of church in 1843; general restorations of c1860, 1901-2, 1927. Random cobbles to south aisle, porch sides, parts of south chapel, early section of nave east wall; limestone ashlar to tower, spire, north aisle, nave clerestory and east wall, chancel east wall; roughly-coursed hammer-dressed limestone to south chapel; red brick to west wall of south chapel (in English bond), upper section of porch, and chancel buttresses. Cement rendering to north and south sides of chancel. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Welsh slate roof to chancel; pantile roof to south porch, lead roofs to remainder. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and south transeptal chapel, 4-bay chancel. Moulded plinth to tower, nave west wall and south aisle. 5-stage tower: angle buttresses with offsets to first 4 stages, moulded string courses between stages. Pointed 3-light west window with reticulated tracery to first stage; slit lights to second stage; blank third stage with line of earlier nave roof; slit lights and east clockface to fourth stage; stepped-in top stage with pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings, corbelled-out coped parapet. Recessed octagonal broach spire with finial and weather-vane. Line of former gable visible in nave west wall. North aisle: tall moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, buttresses between bays; partly-restored pointed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals; pointed moulded north entrance with studded board door; moulded string course, coped parapet. South aisle: square-headed window with 2 trefoiled ogee lights, pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery, pointed 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. South chapel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, square-headed 4- light trefoiled south window with incised spandrels; moulded string course, coped parapet. Nave clerestory: pilaster buttresses to angles and centre, pointed 2-light traceried windows in hollow-chamfered reveals; corbel table of moulded corbels with spouts, moulded string course, coped parapet with crocketed pinnacles to north side and east gable, truncated pinnacles to south side. Chancel: chamfered plinth to north and south-west, moulded plinth, angle buttresses and moulded sill string course to C14 east section; south side has square-headed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery, lancet with dogtooth moulding at apex, pointed roll-moulded entrance with hoodmould and door with blind intersecting traceried panels, square-headed 3-light trefoiled window with filleted reveal and restored mullions; north side has C19 buttresses, pair of pointed 2-light traceried windows; pointed 5-light east window with filleted reveal and mullions, restored reticulated tracery above original lower section. Porch: quoins, narrow pointed double- chamfered outer arch with double doors; pointed fillet-moulded arch of 2 orders, mutilated carved corbel above, C14 inner door with filleted battens and ogee-headed wicket. Interior. 4-bay south arcade and 5-bay north arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil piers to south, and alternate filleted quatrefoil and cylindrical piers to north, the second piers from west with outer buttressing; plain moulded capitals and bases, mutilated bust corbels to east responds. Tower arch: C12 arch (perhaps original chancel arch) reset in C13-C14 as steeply-pointed arch of 3 orders, with plain outer order and chevron and roll-moulded inner orders on shafted responds with cushion capitals. Pair of reset C12 head corbels above north arcade; small octagonal image bracket on head corbel to nave east wall. South chapel: pointed double-chamfered arch to south aisle on filleted quatrefoil north respond, carved head corbel to south; piscina with damaged pierced traceried head beneath gabled hoodmould with finial; 3 corbelled image brackets to east wall. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Chancel has pointed cinquefoiled piscina with roll moulding and projecting bowl, blocked door and plain bracketed stone lectern shelf to north. Restored C15 nave king-post roof with moulded beams and carved bosses including heads, figures, grotesques and shields; restored king-post roof to south chapel with moulded tie beams; C19 roofs to remainder. Marble wall tablet in south aisle to Hugh and Nancy Wright of c1831-5 by John Earle of Hull, with carved palm fronds, book and lamb. Good C15 octagonal font with cusped square panels containing shields with foliate ornament, octagonal column and moulded base. Full set of C18 box pews to nave and aisles. C18 Royal Arms. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, 321-2; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, 84.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.